Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[SOLVED]

I've been having a spot of tranny issues lately. First my clutch master cylinder went out, so that got replaced with a new OEM one. I've also learned that I need to change the fluid more regularly.

Anyways, while my CMC was going out, 4th gear started crunching when I downshifted from 5th. And ONLY downshifting from 5th. Never up from 3rd-4th. What's more is that this happens infrequently. It'll usually do it at least once durning my drives. When it does crunch, there's no resistance at all as I move the shifter to 4th.

Any idea what's going on? Everytime I search, I keep getting results for the infamous Honda 3rd gear grind.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Likely 5th gear is not getting fluid (clogged oil port) and the roller bearings are going dry.
Ah, I see... really glad you didn't say synchros going bad. What could I do to clear the oil port? Drain and replace the tranny fluid? Or do I have to crack open the tranny to clean it?

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
The trans has to come completely apart.

3/4 slider and maybe MS 4th gear and synchro will probably need to be replaced. The damage was done when the CMC went out.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trans has to come completely apart.

3/4 slider and maybe MS 4th gear and synchro will probably need to be replaced. The damage was done when the CMC went out.
Ugghh that was my worst fear. Welp, won't be so bad, I've opened the case a couple times to replace bearings. Do you think it's worth trying to do a fluid change first, or will that not do anything?

Also, n00b question, what does "MS" mean, "main shaft"?

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good, I'll start ordering parts and keep this updated in case other have the same problem.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't order parts until you split it apart...
True dat... I guess I'll start working on it tomorrow. Like I said, I'll keep you guys updated. I appreciate all of you guys who are more experienced than me, always giving solid advice. :)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
Plus either of us have plenty of spare parts. The only gears I wouldn't have are the .702 5th. I put my last set in my cable DX trans for the CRX.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha Yeah, I don't have a lot of spare parts like that. I keep bolts and washers mostly.

BTW, I changed my fluid just to see if that would help the issue, and it didn't really. Still crunched on my test drive. BUT, when I drove to and from work, no crunch. Didn't matter if I granny shifted or shifted a little hard, no sounds. I think I just got lucky, I'm still planning to open up the tranny. Just an interesting thing that happened after the fluid change.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got around to taking my tranny apart. Shift A arm bolt stripped, so gotta get a new one of them. -_- No clogged oil ports to report either.

But anyways, the gears and forks seem fine to me... I'm not really sure how to check for bent forks, worn sliders, or damaged gears. Am I looking for excessive play in the sliders? The gears all have little grooves lined up the same on each tooth, I assume those are made that way?

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After examining my gears more, the synchros look fine as well as the sliders. However, the 3rd/4th fork has some sharp edges and significantly more wear than the others. Also, 5th gear's roller bearing makes a lot of noise when I spin it. Replacing the fork seems like a simple solution, but what about replacing 5th gear's roller bearing??

Attachments

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For sure, I'll have to get one. My Haynes manual won't cut it anymore.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
Not clear enough pic of 3-4 fork, but I'll bet it needs replaced along with the 3-4 hub and slider. There are cheap options.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry it's been a while, been busy with working 2 jobs and trying to fix my car. Anyway, I have an update: it's fixed! Here's what I found:
-3/4 fork was knackered, so that got replaced; hub and slider were good
-I managed to break a synchro spring when putting the countershaft back together, so I got new ones from Synchrotech (based on another recommendation from Aquafina in another thread). Super nice people, would definitely recommend and buy from again!
-5th gear's needle bearing made noise, so that got replaced
-replaced the leaky rear main seal
-replaced a leaky oil pan gasket (another story for another time)
-a slave cylinder bolt due to a rounded bolt head
-stripped a lug nut, got a new one

The result? Each shift feels SOOO NICE. It's confident and smooth, I feel like my short shifter can really shine now. Thanks again for all your guys' help, I can't tell you how much I love this forum for it.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
Hansen family crew at Synchrotech is bomb to deal with...main reason I'm still building.

Order parts on Weds. night/Thurs. morning and they arrive on Saturday via USPS Priority, then drive 150 miles to finish an install that wiped out 3-4-5 sliders and synchros because a rear trans mount bolt came out. Britney rocks...period.

Don't forget Kiwi as well...running his own thing at Special Projects....

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heck yeah, they're awesome people! They're actually local to me, so I had my dad drive down and pick up parts for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts