Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this ramhorn off of here for cheap. It has the wastegate neck broken off and partial rewelded. I originally bought it as a template and was going to get some sch 40 SS and weld it all up, but the more I look at it it really isn't that bad. So I was going to just weld the wastegate neck, but it's a really tight fit, I can't even fit the welder tip to get the bottom. So I wanted to extend it out, but then the wastegate will hit my upper radiator support part. Would something be fine like in the picture below where I curve it around, or will that cause boost creep or anything? I always read that the wastegate neck design is very important or else you get problems with boost control. Let me know what you guys think.

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
It's a LOT harder to get from the inside, unless you have proper tools.

On that manifold it won't make a whole lot of difference between what was on there and what you want to do. Seriously. If I wanted to improve things, I would get a U-bend in whatever size pipe you wanted to use for the wastegate, cut it at the apex, turn it about 90* and weld it together, then weld the straight up part of the bend to the collector, which would be more "correct" as far as helping the wastegate do WTF it is supposed to do. But, that's a lot more work for extremely little benefit.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a LOT harder to get from the inside, unless you have proper tools.

On that manifold it won't make a whole lot of difference between what was on there and what you want to do. Seriously. If I wanted to improve things, I would get a U-bend in whatever size pipe you wanted to use for the wastegate, cut it at the apex, turn it about 90* and weld it together, then weld the straight up part of the bend to the collector, which would be more "correct" as far as helping the wastegate do WTF it is supposed to do. But, that's a lot more work for extremely little benefit.
Okay, does seem alot more work than I need to. Thanks.

·
凸(◕_◕)凸
1,669 Posts
Did someone say pie cuts?

3" DP from a T25. All ho-made, by me, the finest ho!
eew, nasty pie cuts lol

these=mobettah

;)

ZCHONDACRX91, if you dont mind me askin how much did you pay for that peice?

·
凸(◕_◕)凸
1,669 Posts
Beaver, what type of welder did you use to make your DP?
hopefully it was J U S T the welder and not the machine thats got those welds lookin like room full of naked dudes..

LOL! That was my first real exhaust work back in 2003/4.

Those pie cuts are much mo' bettah!
def. put in work mane

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ZCHONDACRX91, if you dont mind me askin how much did you pay for that peice?
$80, wastegate neck broke off and last guy partialy rewelded it. It's not the best, but it looks like decent quality to get the job done.

Also, I always wondered why the pie cuts? I understand in some spots you need them to get the right angle, but I've seen guys do like 10 pie cuts to get a 90 degree angle. It's just stupid IMO, just get a pre bent pipe, pie cuts aren't smooth curves, and also leave more welds to do and possibly fail down the road.

·
凸(◕_◕)凸
1,669 Posts
king, did you do those pies?
shit, I wish!! lmao
..Also, I always wondered why the pie cuts? I understand in some spots you need them to get the right angle, but I've seen guys do like 10 pie cuts to get a 90 degree angle. It's just stupid IMO, just get a pre bent pipe, pie cuts aren't smooth curves, and also leave more welds to do and possibly fail down the road.
ikr. Wondered the same thing myself actually. Doesent seem very cost or time effective, but looks sooo fucking cool to me..

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
$80, wastegate neck broke off and last guy partialy rewelded it. It's not the best, but it looks like decent quality to get the job done.

Also, I always wondered why the pie cuts? I understand in some spots you need them to get the right angle, but I've seen guys do like 10 pie cuts to get a 90 degree angle. It's just stupid IMO, just get a pre bent pipe, pie cuts aren't smooth curves, and also leave more welds to do and possibly fail down the road.
Because you can't always get the radius you want. Super tight radii with large pipe is hard to impossible to bend cheaply. It is usually more cost effective OR the only way to get certain stuff to fit at times. some people do it to show off fabrication skills, too. There are many legit reasons for doing it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts