Honda D Series Forum banner

Ram Air Induction kit....DIY style

6K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  flatfourfan 
#1 ·
Well I guessed after the balls-up with the carbon Fibre valve cover I had to do something to re-deem myself. I think this is it. This is the prototype and looks very rough, I'll be doing a proper one this week. But with 50 miles more off a tank of gas and no ricer noise and more torque..........it's proven it can work.

Ram air induction....
This whole thing has been used a lot and in touring cars it works very well. If done properly. I found with the help of my mate that the most airflow wasn't in fact on the flat section of the bumper, it was on the top and the bottom sections, where the air flows, either over or under the car.......

I've seen guys slapping on some flashy silver discy hole on the bumper (that looks so rice) and then put the cone filter right behind it. I went one further. I took off the bling bling induction kit and the cone filter and fitted the stock airbox back into place. On top of that I fitted a highflow Simota drop in panel replacement.

Best part about this mod.................you can hardly even see it....

A bit rough, but you can see the old cut on the light that I tried before...Old bumper, soon to be replaced.

Cleaned it up a bit and I'm about to start some fibreglass work.

The section where it comes into the engine bay, this section will be cut and welded, it's important not to make this seal airtight between the airbox as if for some or other reason, you do get the nose in water, it won't hydrolock.

The back section..........that white shit is an old T-shirt.......I'll explain when I do a proper write up on the new funnel intake.

I'll let the pics speak for themselves............I've driven this is heavy rain yesterday and no water goes up the intake due to the corrugated profile of the reinforced pipe.......

More to follow on Friday.

See less See more
#6 ·
icarusdown said:
nice shit!
Funny though, cause I'm looking out my window right now and my bumper is sitting on the garage floor while I fab up a nearly identicle low profile ram air intake as well.
Great minds think alike. ;-)
+ rep 4 u for the writeup.

-ic
I've heard so many stories of guys doing this purely for looks, but done right, this thing can actually worked. 50miles extra I got off a tank of gas on the highway. Car pulls way smoother, and feels like it has more torque. Downside is.......using the stock airbox with a highflow filter, you loose the VTEC sound.....oh well, good luck dude, I'll post pics when the peoper one is up and running. This one took me about an hour to fab, and that included buying bondo instead of fibreglass, and going back to the store.

G
#9 ·
I've herd you get better throttle response with the stock air box. You see alot of JDM tuners( spoon,mugen) only making drop in filters for the stock air box, not intake pipes with open cone filter. Kind of makes me think about making a ram air system for my 99ex.
Good post flatfourfan.

#16 ·
transzex said:
I see hydro lock in the future...........
Nope...........that's why where the section comes into the body, you don't seal it.......have a look at the chrome pipe coming into the bottom of the airbox.....around the bottom section of the airbox there's about a 1/2 inch gap around the base of the entry pipe............. for just such an occasion.

#18 ·
I've read that Japanese tuners are almost always required to use a box-sealed filter by many racing sanctions. I prefer the closed box myself for some reason, too. I'll post some pics of "ram-air" when I can.

#20 ·
thats a sweet setup. nice and clean. good job!

#21 ·
Love the setup. That would be sweet for the track.

I miss my old ram air a little. There was a noticeable difference under speed. I loved driving it when it was about 45 degrees out, it would pull like it never had.

Then I made the CAI and never looked back. Rattles less and makes more power overall.

#22 ·
mikeD16Z6 said:
Thats pretty cool.
How does it feel on the highway? Is the difference very noticable?

Question...
If you dont seal the tube to the airbox wont you loose the ram air effect?
Yup.......you can feel it.....the car doesn't need to be pushed as much to get the speed up (my opinon) The first thing I noticed was the car felt like it had much more torque, that's the first thing i noticed.....On the Highway.....it runs very nice, not as loud as it used to be and over-taking power is there with just a smidgen more torque.

Good Question: you'll see that the pipe section actually stands a bit proud than flush, while it doens't seal with the base of the air filter, it still forces the air through the filter base without having the air go out of the base of the box.

While this may not be a true RAM INTAKE.................trust me this shit works......gimmie 5 minutes.......I'm gonna make a video quickly..........stay tuned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.