Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if anyone has tried this or if it's even worth it... I was just a little bit bored and have a basement full of spare parts.

More than likely I won't even put it on my car because I'm working on a different intake system for my hatch, but here's what I was thinking...

Stock bore... 56.89mm

Bored out to fit B18 TB...63.68mm

Marked the hole for 2-wire IACV sensor... have it drilled, but not pictured

Parts being mocked-up

Still deciding if I should finish it... I'll probably just throw it in a box and finish it the next time I'm bored.

Any comments?

·
Registered
826 Posts
very very interesting

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Pretty cool project...I'd be interested to see if it actually performed on a dyno...

·
Registered
826 Posts
Would that fit under the hood ???

Nice idea:TU:/ Write up !!!
i think its gona poke outa the scoop or somethin. it looks to be a bit high...maybe a shorter filter?

·
D-series WTF?!?!
Dyno GT Racing Bike
3,674 Posts
nice i was think of someshit like that but i dont have the toys to do dat overall i got the y7 intake manifold dats all (u gave a new concept to tuner muscle ideas) i will make a intake dat will look something like the oldskool carbs!!!

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I was thinking about turning my D head around the opposite way for ram air. But from what alot of older racers have said to me is that it wont really make an effect until about 110mph. By then I will be almost through the 1/4 mile. But I still want to do it. Just to say I did.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I don't think you'll notice any difference... The Y7 intake just doesn't flow enough... I picked up 10whp just from changing to ported Z6 intake.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok, I just compared it to the stock Y7 intake box and it should all fit:
Left-Dome filter, Middle-OEM intake baox, Right-K&N conical filter

Here it is with a shorter filter... It looks better, but I'm pretty sure a K&N filter flows better... anyway, back to pictures:

And here are my two setups side by side...
I'm curently planning on going with a ported/polished D16Y8 (P2K) intake manibold that has been bored out to 61mm and is using a B18B throttle body that has also been polished, has bypassed coolant lines, Weapon-R throttle rotor, and will be hooked up to an EX intake box via a 3" aluminum short-arm intake and a panel K&N air filter.

I just realized, it looks reeeeealy old-shool with the chrome filter :D

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The hardest part of all of this will be fitting an IACV sensor, both to the intake manifold, and to the port in the TB

Also, even tho' B18 TB fits on most D-series IM, is not a direct bolt on on a d16Y7. The bolt pattern is good, but one of the ports on the bottom of the TB does not allign and would cause a huge vacume leak. To fix this, one would either have to make an addapter plate (which is probably what I'll do if I decide to continue with this), or plug the port on TB with JB weld or something.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you have a hood you dont mind cutting up go right a head. lol Thoe I would honestly suggest a deeper (front to back) scoop.

The only problem with this project I see is what heepens when it rains?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only problem with this project I see is what heepens when it rains?
Yeah, lol...

...that's why I'm going with the setup on the right in my hatch.

The Y7 hybrid would be more for someone who lives in a dry area, or has a mostly track car.

Rainy weather in Chicago is one of the reasons why I got rid of my CAI.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
You can get fresh air from your hood scoop, but ram air effect is better on a bike @ 120mph than a civic who not reach this speed. This kind of intake is helpfull with carb setup like old civic.Take a look to the intake manifolds you got, y8 port size a huge comparate to y7. It looks very nice, but gain is about nothing, perhaps you'll loose with y7 intake where designed for economy not performance.

·
Registered
587 Posts
So are you going to have a hood scoop at the next D-meet???

I wonder what gains you'll get or if it will just pan out and be the same.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts