Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I rallycross a 1995 Civic. I replaced all of the front end bushings when I first got the car because bouncy around on the dirt can take its toll and I wanted to make sure everything had fresh rubber bushings.

I got a set of Truhart adjustable upper a arms. When I was taking off the none adjustable upper front a arms I noticed they were rubbing on the shock tower and basically just ripped a vertical line in the shock tower where they were rubbing.

Has anybody had this problem before??
Was it ??

1.The A arms were installed wrong?(Can't see how I have a shop manual and can read instruction)

2. The front end rebuild kit was just had really shitty bushings that allowed to much movement?

Any insight would be great I am kind of new to Civics.

P.S. I am going to weld the slit and keep rallying it because it is a blast......lol

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
I would assume its from the control arm traveling a lot further and more often than the car was ever intended to do.
Weld it up and try again.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,986 Posts
stock wasn't meant for that much travel, so youll have to make clearances

if I remember right, the guy who makes these is a member on here
EG SHOCK TOWER EXTENSIONS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

Got it thanks guys.

One thing I will point out is the stock a arms have a little tang/lip that hangs past the bushing. The Truhart adjustable ones do not have anything past where the bolt slides into the bushing, so hopefully there won't be anymore problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should ask has anybody ever rallycrossed a civic? Anybody have any set up tips besides reinforce the shock towers for bouncy around on dirt......lol

·
Registered
Subbie Outback
204 Posts
Been rx/stage rallying a 91 hatch for about 7 years. Done lots of suspension stuff, along with lots of other mods/fabricobbling. We also have a 91 CRX in the build stage with tubular front and rear sub-frames.

We've trashed several sets of after-market upper control arms and their adjustable ball joints. The balljoint mounting point is the point of failure. The ball joints are junk, too. We never got more than a single event from them. We finally built a set of arms that use QA1 bolt on joints. However, these required lots of hacking of the wheel well to clearance as well as opening up the hole for the ball joint in the top of the spindle. Swapping in longer DA spindles complicated the process, but it's all manageable with a grinder and a welder. It all depends on how much you want to do.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
It won't let me post a picture since I am new. It's not the top of the a arm that is hitting it's on the inside.

I posted 2 pictures on flicker. my user name is

19ddrouin66

It won't let me post a picture since I am new. It's not the top of the a arm that is hitting it's on the inside.

I posted 2 pictures on flicker. my user name is

19ddrouin66

Again thanks for everybody's help.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,986 Posts
post the link to the image but leave a space in it somewhere and I will come back and edit it for you

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
201 Posts
We've trashed several sets of after-market upper control arms and their adjustable ball joints. The balljoint mounting point is the point of failure. The ball joints are junk, too. We never got more than a single event from them.
Dude, ball joints for a single event?? Lmao awesome. Do you have videos of you running the car anywhere? I would love to see it in action!

·
Registered
10 Posts
post the link to the image but leave a space in it somewhere and I will come back and edit it for you
10 posts AAAAA now I have 5 hahahaha.... Man I tried a bunch of different ways to put spaces or just returned and dropped the web address to create breaks and the forum wouldn't let me send it through.

But if you want to see go to flicker

19ddrouin66 all my pictures are public.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/48334647477/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/48334648172/

·
Registered
Subbie Outback
204 Posts
Oregon Trail Rally 2019
Our second pass at the jump. This is at about 60mph. The first pass was at 80mph for about 45ft of flight distance. We caught a rock on landing and flatted the left front so tried to take it a bit easier the second time. The last pass (3rd time), we hit it about 70mph and got about 35ft of distance.

Shout out to Chris Daley Photo for great work.

Here's a bit from a test day last fall. We're sorting out some suspension settings, so not really getting after it.

https://i.imgur.com/TmYzkic.mp4

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well here is an up date if anybody is interested. I pulled the front end aparted welded everything back together, reinstalled the Truhart a arms. They have tons of clearance. Bought some really aggressive 205/65/15 snow tires.I know real rally tires would be better. I am only rallycrossing right now and the snow tires were only $250 for the set of 4.. New rims to go with the new tires and a new clutch kit. The first week of Dec is the Nor-Cal night rallycross, so hoping I can get all of these fun parts on and have it ready to roll. Oh yeah I also got ARP extended studs, new wheel bearings too.

Hopefully I will be able to post pictures from the night rallycross when it happens.

·
Registered
Subbie Outback
204 Posts
Well here is an up date if anybody is interested. I pulled the front end aparted welded everything back together, reinstalled the Truhart a arms. They have tons of clearance. Bought some really aggressive 205/65/15 snow tires.I know real rally tires would be better. I am only rallycrossing right now and the snow tires were only $250 for the set of 4.. New rims to go with the new tires and a new clutch kit. The first week of Dec is the Nor-Cal night rallycross, so hoping I can get all of these fun parts on and have it ready to roll. Oh yeah I also got ARP extended studs, new wheel bearings too.

Hopefully I will be able to post pictures from the night rallycross when it happens.
Very cool...
I'm glad you got it all sorted. I'll look for pictures. We have a rally Nov. 9th with a couple of night stages. We've never raced at so that should be terrifying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very cool...
I'm glad you got it all sorted. I'll look for pictures. We have a rally Nov. 9th with a couple of night stages. We've never raced at so that should be terrifying.

Nice I am prepping for a night rallycross Dec7th which won't be as terrifying as an actual night stage rally, but on a low budge still a lot of fun. Your car looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for all your help and pointers.

Davey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts