Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Piecing together parts for a Vitara engine build... And now it seems that the motor will be together before the turbo kit...

Anyone have experience driving on vitara built motor WITHOUT boost? Is it terribly slow? or gutless

And what are your opinion on raising the compression to anything over 9.0:1?

I hear people mention that raising the timing on the low end helps alot

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
It'll feel like it was better, or maybe even better cuz everything is new and hoepfully in spec. I'm looking at a 9.1 compression for my Vitara build. Going with 75.5s?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, im picking up 75.5s...

How do you plan on obtaining that CR if vitaras starts you at 8.5:1?

NO one else????

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
it will make less power than stock,

yes you can advance timing to get a lil more low power but if you do it by clocking the dizzy then you're advancing timing throuought the whole power band so you'll lose power on the high end

if you want to play with timing get an ecu that allows datalogging and realtime uploading

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plan on running Crome so adjusting the timing shouldnt be to hard...

So there really isnt a way to raise the compression besides a thinner head gasket or getting the block decked?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Compression ratio is a function of combustion chamber size. If you install pistons that will increase your combustion chamber size then (with all else equal) your compression ratio goes down.

There's nothing magic that you can do to temporarily increase the compression until you get boosted. You're going to be stuck with a low compression slug until you get it boosted.

How slow? I'm not sure. You'll probably be around 8.0 compression with a 75.5 (right?). That's probably what, 15-20 HP under stock?

Or you can wait to build the motor when you have the turbo setup done, and do them all at once.

-Des!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wasnt looking for a temp. fix... More CR = Less boost but you pretty much answered the question... Thanks

Vitara's dropped the compression ratio to 8.5:1

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
you could have the chambers welded up some, that will reduce head volume and increase cr

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you could have the chambers welded up some, that will reduce head volume and increase cr
not really looking to spend more money on anything... And I dont know how to weld...

Looks like ima have to just deal with it... Something that just crossed my mind...

Thanks for the responses..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts