Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a guy willing to sell me a d16y8 for 50 bucks, he cant remember if it ran before he pulled it out or not. (owns a junkyard pulls a lot of shit).
I figure thats a deal since I wanted to go and rebuild it.
I wanted to swap some PG6 pistons in and that would raise my compression to 10.07, I want to know I could I run this compression with a stock d16y8 and would it be reliable. I want to raise the compression with pistons while I have the motor out, so that I do not have to when I want to drop a crower st.2 and I want to tune it.

I figure that I can run it for the time being save some cash, and get my tuning software, and cam. In the mean time run it stock and do the I/H/E.
This is my DD car, it needs to run at most 91, and it needs to be reliable. I want to drop it in without having to tune.

I would love some p29's or GX pistons, but that means tuning which I want to do myself and I just cant do that right now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
im sure u could sneak by without a tune for now, run some high 91 octane fuel to be safe. not the safest way of going about it but im sure u will be fine

·
Administrator
Honda
6,992 Posts
"hay guys! Can I avoid wearing a condom and not get an STD?"

Is how I see this thread turning into.

Just because you can doesn't make it a smart Idea.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
"hay guys! Can I avoid wearing a condom and not get an STD?"

Is how I see this thread turning into.

Just because you can doesn't make it a smart Idea.
exactly lol....

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
:bsflag:

Au contrare - I say you'll be fine!

I'm running a stock ECU on my 10.2:1 1.8 D18Y8 so I can pass emissions. It runs great on 89 octane. No detonation and AFRs are a little rich but ok.
:tank::bigok:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
10.07 is not that high compared to 9.6 i dont even think 10.07 warrants the need for a stg2 crower. just run your 91 and if your all iffy about it retard the ignition timing on the distributor. itl run balls slow but its not going to hurt anything.

get a lower temp thermostat. that way the motor can stay cooler. cause when u increase CR the temp increases as well...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Run 91 if you hear knock turn the distributor back a bit to cut out some ignition timing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just decided not to swap the motor, screw vtec. Buying the motor anyway. Swapping the intake manifold, selling the head to buy a A6 head or y7.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts