Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so I just got fucked by a little 2 inch by 1 inch rock today on the freeway. Somehow, it got between the bumper slits in the front and struck my radiator with such a force that it put a big enough hole to let all the coolant just gush out.

I don't know at which part of my 30-mile commute this happened!!! OMG! I only noticed at the end and saw my temp gauge in the red.

So I'm in a bind... I put some JB weld over the hole and am hoping it will hold for the 10 miles or so to the nearest honda dealership or auto parts store.

What radiator should I get? If I don't get any good ideas, I found one at the local honda for $288! Yikes... but I'll buy it if there isn't anything better. I need something that I can buy today and install with no fitment problems...

Please help me out....

·
Neighborhood Asshole is Back!
02 BMW; 00 Civic EX
1,892 Posts
hmmm that sucks man... i would hate to see you have to pay $288 when you could get a nice aftermarket one for that. I say go to the autoparts store and get the cheapest one they have that works just until you can order a nice aftermarket one or somethin.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there's one at advance auto parts for $99, but I'm afraid about some wierd fitment issues...

i might do that... we'll see. Basically, I just want to be able to drive home and go to work tomorrow at 7am still.

That may all be useless though... I might have killed my headgasket or even worse.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
happened to me the other day a hose broke.. i notice 1 mile from my house in red...
still runs tho.. goodluck
id go with a cheapo there normaly stock replacements just make sure they have it there in stock..

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ hey, good looking out for me... thanks

if this oem replacement is subpar at all, I might just get this. I can't afford to wait the few days for him to ship it though, so I'm still going for el cheapo.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
I got a dual core Brass one on Ebay for 50$... It doesn't overheat with my built 77mm 10:1 comp turbo motor in traffic... Haven't tried lapping it on a track yet though...

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
i second that on the ebay, my dual core never hits all the way up to normal, even under boost. super cool running.

O

·
0 Posts
yup, still for sale. $250 shipped anywhere itn he US for this new in the box unopened koyo racing radiator. it's thicker and flows better than the fluidyne.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
i dont think you can get them up there but i purchased a direct replacement aftermarket one from a local raditator shop and i love it.

all the rads they sell are manufactured in factory in stratford which is about 1.5hrs from where i live. it actually fits the same, has a larger fluid capacity and is manufactured better than the oem honda rad i had before (my top tank cracked near the hose neck). its where our dealership buys all of our replacement rads for customers because honda wants an arm and a leg for a brand new one.

i would say check with a large reputable autoparts store makku and go from there. make sure they guarantee it to be oem replacement. i know not all AM stuff fits or works as well as oem (especially when comparing it to honda's quality) but the rad i bought was way better IMO and fit the same

not sure if that helped but just some words of encouragement from someone who has used aftermarket replacement parts :TU:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts