Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i got a crack in the plastic piece at the top of my radiator. should i try and get it repaired or just go ahead and replace it.

if i replace it, is there a better radiator then the stock 98 civic one. the car is an auto so the rad will also need a tranny cooler in it.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also is there any difference between the 98 lx radiator and the 98 ex?? i noticed that the ex holds more coolant than the lx, didn't know if this was because of the radiator or the head.

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
all those radiators are the same size. If you "can" repair it, try JB weld or somethin. cant hurt. and if it still leaks, replace it.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Just make sure the jb-weld is completly dry before running any coolant through it...that would be bad...

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all those radiators are the same size. If you "can" repair it, try JB weld or somethin. cant hurt. and if it still leaks, replace it.
i'll try some jb weld tommorrow. if that doesn't work what brand radiator should i get. I already checked the price of a oem honda one from my dealership, it was like 310. From majestic honda it was like 223 shipped.

I searched around and found that everybody is recommending dual core radiators. from what i have read i already have one as it is an auto radiator. when i searched i found lots of people recommending koyo radiaitors, mishmoto, and fluidyne.

Right now i am liking the mishimoto radiator as it is the cheapest, and it looks pretty good. I also liked the one pic of the koyo i found.( thanks to k1dfreeze for that) but i would like to know if i will still be able to hook up my transmission lines to it. the fluidyne is like 500 bucks so i am not really even considering it because of the price.

if anyone has got anymore recommendations of a good radiator for relatively cheap let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont like the oem Honda radiator.Bad design if you ask me,the side walls on the top always seem to start cracking.I tried twice to use Jb weld,ended leaving me broke down 300 miles from home.If you dont care about looks I'd suggest the ones frome Advance Auto Parts.I have one on both my civics and are holding up great should be about $100

·
Registered
159 Posts
when i used to race roundy round i got a hole in gas tank used JB quick while gas was still runng out about 5 mins later it quit. and used that same car for 4 seasons .no leaks so it wouldnt hurt to try it only diff gas tanks really dont have any pressure.

·
Registered
159 Posts
o ya u might wana try to ruff the area up that your going to apply the JB weld so it will stay

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'd just buy a new radiator.. The jb weld is bound to leak.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Autozone, if i recall correctly they come with a pretty good warranty.

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
Check your local parts stores. Ask about the warranty. If you have a warranty issue & bought it locally you can take it back w/ minimal agravation. Or, I can sell you on for $89.95 + shipping....pre paid

·
Registered
211 Posts
new radiator

autozone has them for under 100bucks.
I had a crack in the top of mine and tried three different types of adhesives. Even tried a two part industrial grade by 3M and all of them leaked as soon as the system goes full temp. 4 red-line pulls.
there are literally hundreds of sources for those radiators out there. i do not believe there are any specific brands unless you want an aluminum racing grade radiator. and they are all cheaper than the honda dealer, even the badass aluminum one.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah i think i'd like to get an aluminum radiator instead of a stock one.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what is the thickness of the stock radiator?? i have a single core :( i went and checked, but i can't get my caliper down to measure the core thickness

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
anyone had problems with the mishimoto radiator, if not that is the one i will be going with.

·
Registered
94 EX coupe
129 Posts
Do some digging and you should be able to find a reasonably priced radiator with copper or aluminum endtanks. I paid $75 for one from a buddy he bought it from some parts (can't remember where) store for appx. $125.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i dont mind the price of the mishimoto. besides i really like how it looks. i should have it ordered by tonight.

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
yeh it is pointless to try with the jb weld it will crack again and pretty soon, and then you take the risk of thinking it is fixed not paying attention to temp and running hot for who knows how long. i put one in my rex from advance with a lifetime warranty and had no problems with the warranty because i poked a hole in it doing something and pulled it out took it back up there and they give me another one no problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts