Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my radiator leaks under boost.

My set up:
D16z6 with FJ vitara piston/rod and gasket kit
Greddy TD04 turbo kit
Skunk2 IM
ARP head stud 63 ft-lb recently retorque at 67 ft-lb
Mishimoto radiator/cap/fan

I have just replace the radiator cap with another 19psi Mishimoto cap. And it still leak (before the 67 ft-lb). I have not tried since retorquing the head studs.

My thoughts:
Head gasket?
Thermostat stuck open?
Cheap Head gasket from the kit (anyone use the FJ kit HG with no problem)?

Thanks in adavance.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
From what I remember a lot of people had issues with the fjt h/g...felpro or better yet oem Honda

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
fj HG's are shit IIRC. I like FJ, but the hg's in those kits have proven unreliable. head lift and maybe trashed gasket. Done.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It's the headgasket. Get yourself an OEM D16Y8 headgasket.

Hopefully the block/head surfaces are not too warped, might be able to get away with just a fresh gasket. Check the surfaces with a straight edge and feeler gauge when they're apart.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys...
Should I just replace the head gasket? Do I need to get the head re-surface? Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
if you didnt over heat the engine or run it hot you should be okay. get a honda gasket only. and new studs. arp is best. at the very least oem honda bolts.

or just do what i did for two years....... dump the over flow tank back into the rad and top it off between runs lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if you didnt over heat the engine or run it hot you should be okay. get a honda gasket only. and new studs. arp is best. at the very least oem honda bolts.

or just do what i did for two years....... dump the over flow tank back into the rad and top it off between runs lol
I may just install he new head gasket and torque it down 63 ft-lb with ARP lube. I'm not going to dump overflow back to radiator (lol thanks). Trying not to make the problem worse than it is now. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if you didnt use an OEM head gasket, you should replace what ever you have in there with OEM

if that doesnt fix it, your tune needs work.
Thanks...just bought the OEM HG. I'll install and give you guys updates.

·
Registered
5 Posts
before you rip the head off and install the HG, just buy yourself a decent radiator cap, spoon or skunk2 and try that.

Mishimoto caps have been known to leak. I have their radiators on both my cars and the caps have gone bad within a year. Others have reported issues in as little as the 2nd day.

The rubber seals on the caps are horrible and in my civic I'll see little rubber pieces floating in the overflow reservoir tank.

Hasn't leaked in my other car as I haven't put but a few thousands miles on it. Civic is my DD and it's got a turbo and I've gone through 2 before going with skunk2.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
before you rip the head off and install the HG, just buy yourself a decent radiator cap, spoon or skunk2 and try that.

Mishimoto caps have been known to leak. I have their radiators on both my cars and the caps have gone bad within a year. Others have reported issues in as little as the 2nd day.

The rubber seals on the caps are horrible and in my civic I'll see little rubber pieces floating in the overflow reservoir tank.

Hasn't leaked in my other car as I haven't put but a few thousands miles on it. Civic is my DD and it's got a turbo and I've gone through 2 before going with skunk2.
wow really???
Maybe that's why they sent me a new cap without questions when I emailed them about the issue. I'll just get an OEM cap and try it before getting the HG torn apart because I do not have the time to get it taken apart. Its worth a try. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts