Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

First off, I should've looked closer at the eBay auction and not won gauge faces that are for an automatic.

Second, if it says Toucan, Ractive, or Eurolite, don't buy it.

Their gauge faces are just overlays and not electro-luminescence (sp?). Meaning the numbers on the gauge faces are transparent so the stock dash lights work through.

Two downsides to this. First thing is they don't line up very well so the numbers don't light up very good. Second, the two bulbs above the gauge cluster make the white faced gauges look like crap. But if you take those out, you can't see the white needles at night.

During the day, the gauges look fairly good. But because of their poor nighttime use, I'm gonna replace them eventually in the future.

I'll go with what my Accord had; mutlicolored reverse indiglow gauges. The whole gauge face lighted up white with blue/green numbers. The trouble will be finding red/white gauges that do the same. Until then, I'll use these $5 gauge faces.

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
so I just bought some from ebay a couple of weeks ago. they were arospeed I think. anyway this is how they look

I bought a small bottle of scratch paint from orielly's. I think it's the supra red, can't remember.

From the looks of it, you didn't remove the plastic covering both sides. until I removed those, I had a hell of time seeing my guages due to the reflection.

if you paint your needles, you'll have no problems with these, but if you want to buy reverse glows that only last a month then so be it, thought I'd give you some insight to what I did, and I love how everything turned out.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gftgrill said:
From the looks of it, you didn't remove the plastic covering both sides. .
what exactly are you talking about?

and sorry for the crappy picture. i took it with my palm pilot lol.

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
there is a very think clear plastic covering both sides. I didn't notice it until I put it back together and couldn't really see the gauges. I found them when I pulled it back apart to paint the needles.

It's takes a little work get off the plastic. it's like when you buy a new tv or something and the remote has that clear plastic over all of the printed stuff on the remote. All you have to do is peel it off. but maybe yours doesn't have this. but from how shiny the guages look, I would say that they do.

I suggest running your fingers around the outside and trying to pull at that plastic. it's kinda hard to get started, but when you get it started, it's very easy.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now i see the film. i gotta pull me dash apart again lol...

anyways, did you pull those two bulbs out that are above the cluster?

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
nope, I left all of the bulbs the same. I just painted the needles and screwed in the overlays. the white faces look kinda grey at night. but other than that I like them. let me know if that helps you out. Hope you like them when you're done and decide to not go with indiglow gauges.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
removed the plastic film today. the gauges still suck at night. in the day they look ok.

i'll still go with indiglows. i bought some off of ebay for my accord and they worked awesome for well over a year. i still believe they're working good, but i haven't talked to the kid who bought my car for a while.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I will have an answer to your problems in a couple of weeks... I can't say more. It's a product I am developing, so things are a little hush-hush :) I'll update when I can.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Testing phase... needs some work, but you get the idea. A new lighting system for your gauge cluster 8) I'll have stuff for sale in a couple of weeks. Should work for EGs and I think EFs too. In a variety of colors. :D

Pictures are a little bit overexposed due to a camera phone... BUT keep in mind this is lit in the daytime.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
the stuff is sitting in my closet gathering dust ;)

I haven't had any time to mess with it at all... the problem I need to work out is getting the light to show through evenly, instead of having super-bright patches here and there.

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
good idea though.........I want to do something fresh with my cluster, just dunno yet..........looking for ideas..........

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
eh, not LEDs... something else ;)

but it was one of those projects where I thought, "piece of cake" but it turned out not to be. I will make it work right one of these days when I have the time. In fact, that shit is mounted in my car right now... it's just not even brightness all around. I haven't bothered to remove it yet . But it is fucking bright as hell at night. I see people staring at my gauges... :D

(they probably think I'm a ricer... that, or really fucking cool :TU: ) :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts