Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have been doing some looking around. i was going to send the stock injectors to be cleaned and flowed. for the price i was looking at some other injectors that would have a good spray pattern and would flow correct. i found the r18 are 186cc and the stock y7 are 190cc. i was thinking that a set of r18 injectors should have no problems being run by the stock ecu. they also look to have the correct spay at the valves un like the stockers. i am running off the stock ecu and running the 3 wire iacv setup is why. any one have some input on this as to should i do it or not ?

thanks

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
the clips are slightly different. the R18 clips have the click tab spot offset slightly. d16 OBD2 has them centered.

they will need the adapter rings that people use for the RDX 410cc injectors.

I am going to be doing these injectors myself while installing a d16y8 intake manifold.

Stock d16y7 injectors have the correct spray. Just not as optimized as newer ones are.

ECU will run slightly lean for a few hundred miles while it adjusts the fuel trim

5cc at stock pressure is very correctable

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i was planning on the height adapters to get them to fit. they are same length as the rdx injectors. plugs look like the same as the y7. spray patter looks to be aimed at the valves and not the center so it should be alot better i would think. good to see i am not the only one thinking about it.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
they are a different diameter.

the clips are different. Should plug in with slight shaving on the injectors.

the tab that the clip snaps onto form the harness? its offset (centered on one of the pins, versus centers between the pins)

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
I will also confirm the clips are NOT the same as the obd2 clips. I ran a set of these thinking that I had accord injectors, they never ran right (of course I was looking for at least 240cc flow so it wasn't the injectors fault), then got them flowed and they were all 188-193cc at 43.5 psi.
In your case I would think they would work great though, maybe even net a few hp and a little bit better economy.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I dont see the point in doing this.

The y7 is 190cc but most other hondas are 240cc so that they arent running high duty cycle.

Also just because the cc are close doesnt mean the dead times are. If they are to far off the car will have some problems without a tune.

And if your going through all the trouble of this.
Might as well get some rdx 410cc injectors and tune it.
When i had means in before my turbo. The mpg was good with just injector corrections.

Other then that just send yours to be clean and rebuild.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just a update. i got my injectors and tried the oem obd2 plugs on my y7 harness and they fit no mods. just waiting on my hats now to fit my rail and the height of the stock injectors.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
awesome.

Im glad I looked at pictures wrong and it snaps in easy.

you doing the top tip kit that is usually used for the RDX injectors?

14mm to 11mm I belive it was?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing with the R18 injectors left over from the turbo build I recently completed. Plugs are the same.

It should be worthwhile because from what I can see, the nozzle area looks almost identical to RDX except with half the holes. Fuel atomization should be way better than stock two hole Y7 injectors. If it is true that people picked up more power from RDX injector swaps just because of better atomization, it should apply to this as well.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Me being an automatic still, I think I will see a nice bump in drivability with these injectors.

I should be ordering a set friday/tomorrow and then Im doing a fuill day of fun to my car. d16y8 manifold, timing belt, waterpump, alternator and PS belts, and might do the final piece of my igniton, the wires. Everything else is new or tested/verified OEM spec operation

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
They may help, but not so much if you simply slap them in. Battery offsets will be different, meaning the low pulse width areas will be either lean or rich. If you're lucky, they will be minor enough that the ECU/o2 will adjust. However, it will be impossible to create a long-term fuel trim.

The only time I'd really recommend "upgrade" injectors on a stock ECU is when the old injectors are seriously bad. At that point any clean injector roughly the same size will work loads better.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Im bumping this for updates! I never got around to buying/installing r18 injectors, but would like to know if this project saw completion.

Ive lately been having trouble with an injector sticking open. redneck-cleaning it helped a LOT, but it still randomly sticks open and farts enough gas to smell (usually only for a few seconds)

thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I Put them in but they leaked from the top hat to injector seal. I pulled them back out and have not tried new o rings yet.

·
Registered
Civic/92Achieva H.O.
1,240 Posts
I've ran a set of pilot v6 injectors in my b20z2 just fine, I wanna believe that I had to shave a tab off the injector, but that may have been on the rdx injectors I had in the civic, I just used the red hats and 2 long bolts with a set nut at the manifold. Now I'm tempted to put them back in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts