Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using a D15 for boost, it has a R/S of 1.59 is best to leave it at that or go for 137mm robs and 27mm compression height pistons to get 1.62? Will the lower piston speeds be benficial?

·
Registered
643 Posts
sqmark said:
Using a D15 for boost, it has a R/S of 1.59 is best to leave it at that or go for 137mm robs and 27mm compression height pistons to get 1.62? Will the lower piston speeds be benficial?
Eh, if you're building for boost, I'd look at CONNECTING ROD availability before thinking about Rod stroke ratio.
The PM3 based blocks have rods available to them
The P08 based blocks DO NOT unless custom ordered=$$$

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bro is in the air force so we have a very handy shop to do work, I was thinking of fixing some B series rods, B16 - 134mm B18 - 137mm.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why? If I use a 27mm compression height piston like in a D15B or D17 or D15Z1 it should fit.

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
ls rods would kind of be pointless i would think. just go with a rod meant to be in the D, that way you keep the stroke (one of the advantages of the D) and you have a very strong and durable rod you can count on.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But using an LS rod won't change the stroke, it's just cheaper to make them fit than go get some forged items. The one thing is with them being heavier than a D rod will the trouble of going for a 1.62 R/S be pointless or won't it matter?

If we forget about the choice of rod and concerntrate on the R/S, is better to go 1.62 on boost or stay at stock 1.59?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It can be done with the help of a fully equipped RAF machine shop, I have the tools and a good pair of hands to do the work for fuck all. Forget about the rods, that is not the issue I want answered,

Is better to go 1.62 on boost or stay at stock 1.59?

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
1.62 would be better boost or no boost, more willing to rev, more reliability when revving

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
Lengthening the rods does very little to impact pistons speeds or acceleration. Rod/Stroke ratio also tells you very little about piston speeds or acceleration. Here is a graph of what you are proposing. Notice that the curves are practically right on top of each other.

So while it is technically "better". Look at the graph yourself and determine if it is worth the trouble.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey kommon, what program is that by the way. have anything else nifty to play with. where did you get that at?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts