Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you all for inputs on various exhaust systems.
I got a 93 Civic EX coup with CAI, chip, airmass headers.
Now would like to change gutted cat to Carsound cat and not sure if its a good idea to get it in 2.25 or should I stick with original 2" diameter cat? The universal fit one comes in all sizes and I can get it of e-bay for $60.
Also there is a lot of mixed information about various mufflers. Looking for a muffler that sounds good but is not very loud so I will not anoy my neighbors.
Yes, the whole exhaust is getting changed to 2.25" pipeping and resonator.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I did some research on Dynomax Ultraflow and MAgnaflow mufflers, but still not sure. I want to be prepared before heading down to muffler shop.
Thank you once again.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Since you are changing your whole exhaust to 2.25" you should go with a custom cat-back to go with your carsound 2.25" catalytic converter.

Go custom (saves you money).

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
current size.

Am I correct about our cat pipe diameter being 2"? If I get a bigger Cat (2.25") could I reuse the existing cat brackets or would muffler shop need to just weld new cat directly to the exhaust pipe without the brackets?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
messed up

Sorry, I ment to say flenge not bracket. Doing house construction and get my terminology mixed up. Not bad for a foreigner.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, here we go........if your going to get a universal cat, it's going to have to be welded on(not a bolt on)......and if ya upgrade to a 2.25 than you might as well upgrade the entire system. A universal muffler will work fine(2.25-2.5)whichever you purchase will be loud if installed with no resinator(glasspack) right after the cat. It will sound like a lawnmower and offend the popo's with no resonator.......if you can, I suggest puttin' 2.25 mandrel bend aluminized piping with two small glasspacks(12 to 16inch) after the cat and a nice lookin universal at the end. It will sound like a Greddy, RSR, or HKS.....but a whole hell-of-alot cheaper. The sound will be super deep and mean as hell when ya rev the hell out of it.....PEACE

·
Registered
107 Posts
Definitely go with the apex ws system. It has probably the best low to mid power gains and It sounds a lot more like a performance muffler that one of the universal pieces of crap

·
Registered
693 Posts
vtece-hatch said:
I've got a universal exhaust with no resonator on my car and it sounds great its not very loud and its got a really deep tone.
One of the lucky few...

The WS system is risk-free for sound quality. If he gets a bargain for a universal muffler and crush-bent tubing and it ends up sounding crappy, it suddenly won't seem like such a good deal anymore...

·
Registered
693 Posts
ChavezHX said:
Apexi world sport with a header sounds perfect. Nice mellow deep sound.
Yep, I got a 4-2-1 stainless with the WS, it rumbles nice. A little loud without the cat but I'll be putting a 2.25" Catco converter in next week, should return it to normal.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a custom 2.25 inch exhaust with a Tanabe muffler. It sounds horrible, and it farts. So I think I'm going to put in a resonator to quiet it down a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts