Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a jdm engine D15B using a P28 ECU on an 1993 EJ1
i went to the junkyard and saw some 4 doors with the d15b.

ok ive done my research so far and came up with the conclusion that
i can pass smog.

i just need more evidence of this before i try to smog it.

thanks

·
Registered
the honda
133 Posts
What are you trying to do? You literally just state that you have the Jdm d15b and found d15b's and you are trying to do what, swap parts over? If so be careful because I do believe that there was a usdm version of that motor that has some differences.

·
Registered
95 del sol turbo
305 Posts
I got through on a jdm d15b. Most of the people wont know the diffrence between the stock engine and this engine. Most of the ones at the junk yard are non vtec ones. This one is identical to the z6 may be a hair faster. Just make sure the check engine lite isnt on and all the smog stuff is hooked up and your all set.

·
Registered
88 crx si, 05 mini
3 Posts
I'm in texas and mine passed in my 93 dx with a p06 ecu but it was close. Keep in mind it was not the correct ecu put it passed.

·
Registered
93 DelSol S, 95 DelSol Si, 01 Odyssey EX, 04 CRV EX
2,177 Posts
there are three different JDM D15B engines as well.

Piston stamp will verify which one it is.

·
Registered
00 EJ6 boosted D16Z6, 99 EJ6 bone stock, 04 Ram 1500
1,110 Posts
obd1 jdm d15b has no purge solenoid, etc.
& 1 wire o2 sensor.
use the parts for a d16z6 (intake manifold/ecu/o2 sensor etc.) for usdm emissions compliance.

Reactions: transzex

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
theres 4 that carry the stamp d15b.

one with a z6 style lma and p08 stamped piston tops and head are the 130hp variant.

some will pass low speed test, some wont. even on the jdm ecu.

tsi tested on jdm ecu almost always fails due to unheated o2 sensor.

a brand new cat will probably pass somewhat dirty on either ecu.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
ok, now im at a keyboard.

I had to go through all this business when the JDM d15 was new business way back when. I got mine for $285 out the door from Attarco back then.

So heres the scoop;

Hes right above.

The JDM motor had a 1 wire o2, and no purge system. you can easily T off of the FPR vacuum port and run the purge that way. Or; be a better person and make it look OEM by using a B7 or Z6 intake manifold.

The o2 sensor is easy enough to fix, swap it. If your running the JDM ecu, you could go in and add the SMT transistor for the o2 heater, which will enable it, and make it run cleaner at a steady idle/low speed.

The smog tech is your biggest hurdle.

Will he see the engine stamp doesn't match the emissions label? If hes doing his job, yes. if he's lazy, he will just look for the required equipment, then its a matter of the sniffer test.

If you remove the emissions label, he will turn to his "bible" emissions reference with accessory testing procedures and upon discovering an incorrect correlation to engine size, there will be an issue. But..... that's a lot less likely than the above statement.

as far as BAR is concerned; by the book; the JDM engine is not a legal swap. the ECU doesnt meet the federal emissions standards (programming wise) and thus you will fail for the JDM ecu. Secondly the engine didnt come with the required smog equipment from Japan, so they can hit you with that too (just because you have it, doesnt mean the engine was meant for it).

It all depends on the BAR inspector that is doing the work. Is he a by the book guy, or a realistic thinker. This is the ultimate teeter point as far as the BAR is concerned, all else aside.

So;

To elaborate on the different versions... now I am remembering a fifth.

Ok;

All motors are stamped "D15B" only.

The B7 variant: Exactly the same as a D15B7 in the US.

The 130Hp Variant: Looks like a Z6, takes parts like a Z6, but has slight modifications to make it a 1.5L. Most items stamped P08.

The dual carb version: Same as 130Hp variant, but is dual carb. Earliest of the VTEC JDM D15B's. Took an interesting ECU that I have only hears whispers about, never seen one or anything. I am still wanting to see and dissect one.

The VTEC-E model: Looks like the 130Hp variant in all respects. Some have VTEC-E on the valve cover, some don't. depends on the year. The easiest way to tell is open the oil cap and look at the LMA. you can see a flat plate wrapped over the rocker arm with a spring holding tension. Very unique LMA. Pistons are P07-XX and are like the USDM P07, but have a CRAZY-ASS bowl/concave feature compared to the Z1 pistons. Very interesting.

and finally, the 3 stage: Head stamped "P2J" and Obviously known by the VTEC valve body with two solenoids on top.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts