Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SO found a 91' RT4wd in really good condition but most likely the motor will need to be replaced. I know it will buy it quick so this all needs to be done fast.

What d-series will swap right in the easiest and bolt up to the tranny?

Cant do the swap for my friend myself seeing as i live in apt. so ill have to find someone.

·
Registered
667 Posts
i would think anything within the same gen?

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
"READ ALL ABOUT IT!"

[edit] D16A6
Also known as D16Z2.

Found in:
1988-1991 Honda Civic Si, CRX Si, Civic Wagon RT4WD
1990-1991 Honda Civic EX Sedan
1988-1995 Honda Civic Shuttle RT4WD (UK/Europe/Asia/AU/NZ)
1989-1996 Rover 216/416 GSi/Tourer (UK/Europe)
Displacement : 1,590 cc (97 cu in)
Bore and Stroke : 75 mm × 90 mm (3.0 in × 3.5 in)
Rod Length : 137 mm
Rod/Stroke : 1.52
Compression : 9.1:1
Power : 108 hp (80.5 kW, 110 ps) @ 5600 rpm
Note: 1988 engines were 105 hp (78.3 kW, 107 ps)
Torque : 100 ft·lbf (13.9 kg/m, 136 Nm) @ 4,800 rpm
Redline : 6500 rpm (USA)
Rev limited to : 7200 rpm
Valvetrain : SOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
Fuel Control : OBD-0 MPFI
Head Code : PM3
ECU Code : PM6

Honda D engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^ didnt even think about that...i look there all the time too. Ha i feel like a noob. ALright WELL now i need to find a engine then!

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
the a6 is a good little engine. i have it in my crx and i love it. it's a d16a6 with a crespo stg1 cam, gutted cat, and a angled fart can. those are the only power mods done to the crx and it's a beefy little motor. i love it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You can't just put ANY d engine in there, the 4wd wagon uses equal length axles like a B series does. Not all blocks have the 3 bolt holes on the back of the block to accomodate the intermediate shaft. The A6 blocks have them for sure, I have seen y8's and z6's that have them but not all of them do. I have not figured out why. Maybe auto's vs. manuals? Or maybe it's a year of manufacture thing?

Either way if you decide on a different block check the back of it for 3 threaded holes that form a triangle around the oil filter. Sometimes you will find 1 hole only.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
your doing it wrong

fina a hatch and swap the drivetrain into it rHMT style YO!

·
Registered
370 Posts
your doing it wrong

fina a hatch and swap the drivetrain into it rHMT style YO!

Ha ha... cooler maybe a crapload more work! I am slowly working on a 4wd crx build and somedays I wish I could just find a decent shape wagovan. I would just drop all my turbo junk in there!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can't just put ANY d engine in there, the 4wd wagon uses equal length axles like a B series does. Not all blocks have the 3 bolt holes on the back of the block to accomodate the intermediate shaft. The A6 blocks have them for sure, I have seen y8's and z6's that have them but not all of them do. I have not figured out why. Maybe auto's vs. manuals? Or maybe it's a year of manufacture thing?

Either way if you decide on a different block check the back of it for 3 threaded holes that form a triangle around the oil filter. Sometimes you will find 1 hole only.

SO a d16a6 is a for sure straight swap then correct?

What about a ZC SOHC? was gunna pick one up from hmotors.

·
Registered
370 Posts
As far as I know all A6's will work, as for any other block I can't really say, some will, some wont. Only way to know for sure is to check the block for those bolt holes.

Oh, and before you scrap the original engine make sure you grab the oil pan, as a fwd pan won't work the the 4wd trans. Hmmm.. there's another issue, not all pans fit all engines. If I were you I would go with the A6!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
my z6 and the jdm d15b has the needed bolt holes to do it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey I have a 88 wagovan and a jdm d15b vtec motor which I bought for it, before I realized that they didn't have the holes for the intermediate shaft bracket.. I'll post a pic of the back side of the engine if you'd like..

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
An ODB0 DOHC D16A8 or D16A9 or D16A1 or DOHC ZC should fit by the sounds of it and they all have the intermediate shaft.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts