Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 93 delsol with a d16y7 all stock turbonetics t3t4 problem I'm having when I start it the exhaust manifold gets mad hot like instantly to the point where it starts smoking in like a minute after I start it the block and head don't seem to b getting hott but I'm afraid to keep it running due to not wanting to crack the manifold any input would b helpful I've redone the timing 2 times now still same response

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
Does it glow red or build boost at idle if so timings way off. But the exhaust manifold will get extremely hot. If its heat wrapped or youve touched it with your bare hands itll smoke for awhile

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
Is it new or has it been ran before? The 2 eBay knock offs I ran did the exact same thing you're describing, nothing I did could remedy it. Others should be able to help more as I just swapped to a new manifold

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol I'm pretty sure the timings dead on I wasn't sure bout the distributer timing but would it run if that is off? I dnt dare touch it it's MADD hott it's not glowing red tho but it'll start smoking crazy Ik the car needs tuned badly tho

·
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
If it's not tuned I can bet you're running rich if it's a half decent base map, get her tuned. But the eBay mani is thin metal and tends to smoke from oils from hands

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm gunna sound stupid but what's a basemap lmao is that a ecu I'm mad new to these turbos Ik I have a p28 ecu can you tune with that? Or should I get somthing diff

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It also idles weird as hell there's a video of the car on YouTube that the previous owner out on there if you got a minute and can listen to it I would appreciate it ... This was before I got new turbo waste gate and head

·
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
Please do not run the car till you know if you have a base map at minimum. Some will say you can idle it with stock ECU but to be safe please don't till you can say for sure you have a base map and are tunable

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok thanks for the info I'm gunna take it to my local shop soon to c wat I actually need 2 more quick questions what do you hook the boost gauge to I'm not sure but it may be hooked up wrong when it's idling it's reading like negative 15 pounds nd wen I hit the throttle it won't even get to 0 ....... Second question is the waste gate is constantly blowing out of the waste gate port I'm not to sure but I dnt think that is normal

·
Registered
844 Posts
It's brand new mani and race junkie I was thinking the same thing could b running rich as fuck
I think you nailed it

most likely u could tune the problem away

15lbs of vacuum with boost? its not hooked up correctly it should be a lil higher at idle and then hit positive intake pressure under boost

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks race junkie does the boost gauge hook up to a vacuum port on the intake or am I jus talking stupid

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
-15 at idle honestly is a little high. My car pulls about -20 at idle. Currently N/A but was still pulling 20 lbs of vacuum at idle when it was boosted. Something is screwy ... vacuum leak?

Are you blipping the throttle in neutral ... it's possible you wouldn't get to 0 on the gauge because you aren't putting any load on the engine. But seriously ... get a proper tune, have the ECU checked to see if it is chipped ... if it isn't get that done ASAP and get at least a base map on there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts