Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,097 Posts
is it already bored to 75.5? if not, the answer is yes. if yes, a dingleberry hone wouldn't hurt to clean it up a bit

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it already bored to 75.5? if not, the answer is yes. if yes, a dingleberry hone wouldn't hurt to clean it up a bit
Still stock 75mm. I've never built a block for turbo. Always just turbo a stock motor but this time I'm shooting for 300whp. I can order 75.5 vitaras, was just hoping to avoid the cost of a bore. I'd rather spend the extra money than break something after 2 passes though.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,097 Posts
hit them with a dingleberry to help get some glaze and give it better grit for the new rings. and my bad, didn't see the 75mm part the first time

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hit them with a dingleberry to help get some glaze and give it better grit for the new rings. and my bad, didn't see the 75mm part the first time
Ok. My local shop wants $150 to hone. Its almost worth it just to clean the block real well but I'll try it myself first.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That still looks pretty good (in what you've shown us anyways).

slo is right, hit it gently with a dingleberry (and wd-40 or marvel or whatever snake oil you want), and run it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That still looks pretty good (in what you've shown us anyways).

slo is right, hit it gently with a dingleberry (and wd-40 or marvel or whatever snake oil you want), and run it.
The car has 290k on it. The previous owner said the motor only has 120k but I obviously didn't believe that When he was saying it but it definitely doesn't like like a 290k motor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The one hundred and fifty bucks might be worth it to have a very experienced set of eyes look over the engine block, but isn't worth it for a hone.

Honing isnt any harder than properly putting together a rotating assembly, all you need is a power drill and the correct diameter hone. I used to sell tools, they're like twenty or thirty dollars iirc

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Just don't overdo it

·
Registered
438 Posts
Leave it as is or pay to go oversized.

Dingleberry hone is a quick way to ruin the bore surface finish of a modern engine. It is a bit old school and worked great back in the day when engines would only last 80-100k.

Most modern engines, including yours have a cross hatch and final surface finish designed to hold just the right amount of oil on the walls for lubrication and have the rings last much longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts