Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is for guys like Danz and others who drag race their boosted Honda Motors.
I dont see this mentioned. But do you guys do anything special to your gear boxes or drive shafts. Or are Honda Parts that good that they can take the abuse of a boosted motor with no issues.

On my Turbo builds. We have had bad luck with snapped drive shafts, busted gear box bearings and other assorted problems.

Will this be an issue with the Honda ?
Do I need to upgrade the drive shafts or stock will hold only planing on making 200 BHP.
Have heard that some guys upgrade the D15 drive shafts to the B16 or B18 drive shafts.
your inputs would be great.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
If you know how to preload stock is fine for 200hp. I've use stock axles on my 400+ motor with no issues

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
An LSD will reduce the chance of axle breakage. Avoiding wheel hop (using slicks) will reduce the chance of axle breakage. Preloading on launch will reduce the chance of axle breakage.

Most guys use stock trannys and stock axles.

I seriously doubt anyone is using B series axles, unless we're talking about the 3 or 4 guys in the entire world who are using a D2B setup.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
get an aftermarket LSD. the first point of failure is the diff, at least for me...

i like to use a weak axle.. i would rather break an axle than a gear or diff.

i use OEM gears and OEM drive shafts, or even chinese aftermarket axles. no issues

the number one thing to avoid is wheel hop, so use drag specific slicks. my mickey thompson or M&H

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I used stock/Auto Zone reman axles coupled with my Quaife LSD Si trans (stock gearing) without issue. This all w/o a traction bar too...add that to your list of things to get, along with stiff mounts.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
I know you guys don't have access to this; but many people were running regular Autozone or Advance Auto axles with lifetime warranties. They'd break it, and get a "free" replacement.

I have the same warranty on my Civic axles and they were like $60-70 each; I believe mine are still warrantied(I think later on they put a limited warranty). Not sure if Autozone or Advance still does this though.

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hummm a LSD for my Boosted car is a bit outside my budget right now.
But yes we would bunny hop like crazy in the early days. Before I upgraded my wheels.
One would imagine that slicks would put even more load on the drive Axel.

The one and only time I went to the stealer was to change my drive shafts and they put some crappy made in India shafts in and billed me 28K (608$) To change both drive shafts. That was the first and last visit to a Honda Dealership.
Honda India has a policy. No parts can be purchased in the open market. Want a part. Go to the show room. Now I just import my parts. Pay thru the nose for shipping and customs but it still beats working with the stealer's.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
I blew my open diff at the 350ish mark. Probably coming out of the water box with the pedal still to the floor. So I started running welded diffs. No more issues there. But I know PLENTY of people running open diffs. Ive never heard of anyone breaking axles because they had an open diff. Maybe because they couldnt drive. But it wasnt due to an open diff.

Slicks and preloading will keep you from snapping axles. Radials tend to have more wheel hop issues. Bias ply gives at the sidewall and doesnt wheel hop. Ive never snapped an axle on slicks, only drag radials.

I also had issues with breaking my trannies. But that was mainly due to 20+ year old cable trannies. I have friends running consistent 10s on the same hydraulic tranny for 2 years plus. But needless to say, I like most of the single cam people I know went for a B tranny. Just for better gears and better parts. Not to mention the intermediate shaft as well.

And yea, I normally run axles that are warrantied, and keep an extra set of junkers with me at the track.

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you guys do have similar problems and snapping drive shafts is something to worry about. Thanks for all the inputs.
A LSD is tempting but at 700x2 by the time it gets to me is steep. Everything costs double thanks to shipping and customs.
Why would cable vs Hydro effect anything ? We are cable BTW.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
The one and only time I went to the stealer was to change my drive shafts and they put some crappy made in India shafts in and billed me 28K (608$) To change both drive shafts. That was the first and last visit to a Honda Dealership.
Holy crap!

I remember Bone saying something about the differential pins in cable transmissions are weaker. I ran a hydro one in my cable transmission with no problems.

As far as shipping, do you guys have to pay tariffs for "gifts"? Post office has those flat-rate boxes which also include International shipping now which would save shipping costs vs. paying by weight.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
get an aftermarket LSD. the first point of failure is the diff, at least for me...

i like to use a weak axle.. i would rather break an axle than a gear or diff.

i use OEM gears and OEM drive shafts, or even chinese aftermarket axles. no issues

the number one thing to avoid is wheel hop, so use drag specific slicks. my mickey thompson or M&H
i agree
i make a small indent in mine with a angle grinder just so if they do snap they will snap right there and not into the trans itself which is a pain to take out

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
i have had the same axles for 3 years now....2-300 passes on the 1/4 .....mind you half of those were n/a on 13"steelies....other half was 22" slicks and turbo around 180-200whp....also never broke a tranny yet....knock on wood....2 years on a dx tranny and half a season last year on my si/ex trans(spun a rod bearing)...si trans is goin on the new build...also still running open diff

energy suspention torque mounts cut wheel hop by 20-30%....polly filled mounts i was down to very light wheel hop....with slicks its gone all together

1 - 15 of 15 Posts