Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1991 civic hatch
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently managed to get a civic for free from a co worker but the engine is crap so i will be rebuilding it.

Its the d15b1, according to the odometer its something like 117k miles.

questions then:

1. Is the D15 bottom end a decent thing to build up or should i find a d16?
2. I assume all thats needed to make it a 1.6l is the d16 head, looking at a y8 head for it.
3. I plan to turbo the engine and the vitara pistons seem to be a good idea but im confused about the piston rods.

thanks for the help.

P.S. This is gonna be my daily driver.

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
You'll be SOL with the USDM D15 block. Only a couple of guys (importtuning.hu, Pauter and maybe Crower) make rods for them and they're either not that popular or fucking expensive. And you need a D16 block to make it a 1.6l.

Best bet is getting a Z6 block and head or a Z6 block and Y8 head. Then you can go with FJ's rods and Vitaras.

·
Registered
771 Posts
You'll be SOL with the USDM D15 block. Only a couple of guys (importtuning.hu, Pauter and maybe Crower) make rods for them and they're either not that popular or fucking expensive. And you need a D16 block to make it a 1.6l.

Best bet is getting a Z6 block and head or a Z6 block and Y8 head. Then you can go with FJ's rods and Vitaras.
What this guy said

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
1. D15 bottom end is good to 200 hp (ish) if you want more than that good luck.

2. You can do a "mini-me" swap and gain compression and VTEC but this won't make your motor a 1.6L. D16's are 1.6L, D15's are 1.5L. It may seem like they would be nearly identical (I mean they are after all 0.1 L difference) but the internals are completely different and not interchangeable.

3. FJ is now making custom length piston rods for the 1.5 L motors that will utilize the Gran Vitara pistons. I haven't seen any big horsepower dyno pulls yet but it's only a matter of time.

FWIW, Go find a D16Z6, convert your car to OBD1, and call it a day! Later on down the road when you wanna build it for boost start piecing together a turbo kit or save and buy a Go-autoworks kit.

·
Registered
Civic
36 Posts
If you want to build a D15 then go for it, dont let people tell you its shit. just because its harder to find parts for doesnt mean they dont exsist. A D16 is much easier to get power out of and find parts for but there are so many D16s out there, do something one off

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
If you want to build a D15 then go for it, dont let people tell you its shit. just because its harder to find parts for doesnt mean they dont exsist. A D16 is much easier to get power out of and find parts for but there are so many D16s out there, do something one off
One off is cool , but if you don't have the budget, parts that are readily available and mass produced are always cheaper.....

·
Registered
1991 civic hatch
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol @ awebb

I hear what you guys are saying, thanks for all the info, looks like ill be looking for a d16 engine instead.

so that answers 1 and 2 but what about 3?

It just now occurred to me to ask this but im only looking for around 200-250hp, would it do any good to use vitara's or will that be over kill?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
lol @ awebb

I hear what you guys are saying, thanks for all the info, looks like ill be looking for a d16 engine instead.

so that answers 1 and 2 but what about 3?

It just now occurred to me to ask this but im only looking for around 200-250hp, would it do any good to use vitara's or will that be over kill?
vitaras are cheap as fuck, and depending on the condition of your pistons youll get in the new block they're the way to go. although 250hp will do you fine on stock pistons
rods however might be a lil over kill for your power goal IMO but think about if you want to ever turn up the boost like pretty much everyone does youll have that insurance of knowing you can.
FJ's rods are forged & bring the piston to deck height raising compression which is a good thing in your case.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
thanks for the info, gotta say this place has bee a lot more helpful and friendly than honda-tech.

so go vitara pistons cause they are cheap and FJ rods for security.
Homie's cookin with gas now!

·
Registered
1991 civic hatch
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^You can do 75.5's but you'll have to have the cylinders bored out. This adds cost to any build.

The 75's drop right in and require no machine work.
sounds good, less work the better, trying to make the most of my money.

·
Registered
1991 civic hatch
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New questions :D

So i might be getting a wagon van soon and was wondering about the d16a6, i googled but didnt find to much info, still gonna re build it since they said they screwed it up but im wondering what i will need to worry about.

Second, what i have read is that the z6 is what im looking for in a block because of its oil pump (I think) but what about the head, stick with a z6 head or put on a y8?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts