Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I'm looking to confirm that the S2000 oil filter can be used on a d16y8.

I've read up quite a bit on it, but I just want to make sure that I get a consensus from the guys who know their stuff here. I'm looking at the Honda 15400-PCX-004 (the one that has been recommended).

Also, I've also read that HAMP oil filters are good too. I was considering maybe getting the H1540-RTA-505 HAMP filter since I can get them at a better price. I think this is the one that is supposed to be exactly like the PCX-004. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
whats wrong with the stock honda D16 filter?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sent an email to the guys at Endyne (www.theoldone.com) to ask for some advice after rebuilding my y8. They gave some instructions on what to do for the break-in period, and specifically mentioned to only use a Honda OEM S2000 oil filter.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hmmm..... I thought I remember reading something about bumping the oil pressure. I wonder if that would be a problem since I shimmed my oil pump (0.030" washer) to increase the pressure already. You think that adding this oil filter will up the pressure too much? Last thing I want is to blow out seals....

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
ok ladies, so the crab doesn't blow a gasket. look at this post throughly ok.

regular civic filter:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/A02LRG.jpg

s2k filter:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/S2000/pcx.jpg

now look at the top of the filters. notice the size difference between the center and the other lip? the center is the same size between the two filters. its the size of the oil filter port, which will have to be the same size if they are to be swapable.

edit: read next post

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sent an email response to the guys at Endyne concerning my original email about the S2000 filter:

"Thank you for the reply.
I have read that the S2000 filter will actually help to increase the oil pressure by ~10psi. I have already shimmed my y8's oil pump with a 0.030" washer to increase it by ~20psi.
If I were to use the S2000 oil filter and subsequently add an additional ~10psi for a total of ~30psi over stock, should I be concerned for potential problems? (ie. blown out seals?)
Thanks again for your help."

Got this reply:

"Oil filters only affect pressure because of the pressure-drop (or drag) created by their elements. Small filters, typically are more restrictive, and they tend to reduce pressure because of the pressure drop. Larger filters (like the S2K units) have more filter area, and cause less restriction (pressure drop), and therefore, the pressure you read may be higher than you'd see with the smaller filter.
All Honda engines came equipped with the larger S2K filters until 2002. The small filters came into existence due to space constraints with the later Honda engines installed in later model chassis, and Honda made the decision to switch everything except the S2K engines to the new smaller filters because it saved them money.
The D series engine I ran in my Civic from 1996 to 2006 had over 100psi cold oil pressure, and 85psi at 3KRPM and above (hot), and there were no ill effects. We run over 100psi hot on all the TSX road racing engines we build for Honda R&D, and there are no ill-effects....
LW"

Looks like the S2000 is bigger and I don't have to worry about my oil pressure :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Interesting thread...
Wix gave the same part number for both the Civic(D16Z6) and S2000 - PN#51334

Honda however has 2 different numbers
Civic(D16Z6) - 15400-PR3-004
S2000 - 15400-PCX-004

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Civic - 15400-PR3-004
from what i can gather about the filters: that one is replaced by 15400-P0H-305. which was later replaced by the 15400-PLM-A02 filter.

about the info from endyne: nice. i updated my post to refer to yours.

edit: all the above part numbers for oil filters are still valid and can still be purchased. behind the counter oil filters can be all of the above, depending on whatever the dealership has on hand.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
In my post, http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87935, I mentioned that I did a little more research and found that the HAMP filter H1540-RTA-505 is not the same as the OEM filter 15400-PCX-004. It is the same as the smaller OEM filter 15400-RTA-004. When I last changed my oil, I took a pic of the HAMP filter, the OEM PCX I had on, and a Canadian Tire Motomaster (Fram I think...) filter I had sitting in my trunk to see the size difference. Here it is:

IMG_0001.JPG

The HAMP filter is noticeably smaller than the OEM PCX, and even smaller than the Motomaster filter (regardless of size, the HAMP is an obviously better filter than the MM...). I added the bottle to give something to compare to in size. Here are the rough measurements I took:

HAMP RTA: 85mm tall, 215mm circumference, 65mm diameter
Volume = ~282 cubic centimetres (~111 cubic inches)

OEM PCX: 85mm tall, 255mm circumference, 85mm diameter
Volume = ~483 cubic centimetres (~190 cubic inches)

CT MM: 85mm tall, 245mm circumference, 75mm diameter
Volume = ~376 cubic centimetres (~148 cubic inches)

·
Great example of a n00b
278 Posts
used S2000 filter on my J30A1 since 2003-today.
used S2000 filter on my D15B7 since 2007-today.

no problems yet.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts