Honda D Series Forum banner

Questions about my setup

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  EG-MIKE 
#1 ·
ok so im trying to fix my turbo setup to be most efficient as possible. so ill give a run down of my setup and plans, and am looking for advice and opinions from some of you that have a lot more knowledge and experience with boosted honda's. this is my first car i boosted and was pleased but know there is somethings that can be better.

Current:

stock b2 bottom end ( spit a rod w/ the 212k b8. lol )
stock b7 head
z6 intake mani
b7 throttle body
stock map sensor
2.5" i.c piping
smallish f.m.i.c
ebay cast mani
internally gated ebay 6262? ( gotta check measurements )
10-12 p.s.i internal wastegate ( only been running 9 p.s.i so im not sure )
rc 550cc injectors saturated
2.5" exhaust , no cat. ,just resonator and a cheap thrush turbo muffler.
my dp is hacked up but works
comp clutch stage 4 sprung 6 puck

i think thats about it. so anyways my boost cut is set at 9.5p.s.i rev limit is set at 7k due to stock head and all ( was my idea, could turn it up to 7.5k on retune i think ).

idk if i should get a internal wastegate set for lower boost, or just get a better map sensor and turn the boost cut up a lil and run w.e this wastegate is set at?

im gonna redo my whole exhaust. was just wondering if anyone knew the cheapest route on that? i was gonna just order this exhaust off ebay, make a new dp and add a high flow cat so it will pass emissions in my state 1992-1995 CIVIC EG 3DR HATCH CATBACK EXHAUST 1993 1994 | eBay

i have access to my dads shop with pretty much everything except a lift. i have a welder and can weld decent enough to do what i need with it.

sorry this is so mangled im tired and cant even think straight but wanted to start this thread before i lost the motivation. lol. anyways i dont got much people in my area that are into this kinda stuff that i know so i dont got really anyones brain to pick and figured wheres a better place t ask then here at the D.

See less See more
#2 ·
Vhanging the exhaust will need a retune.
Also y mess with the boost settings if all is working and you like your power.
Now if you want more power, id swap maps, up the boost via unscrewing (lenghtening) the wg rod,. Or use a boost controller. Either way retune needed.

#3 ·
yeah i will be getting a retune once i get it situated.
my car always hits boost cut because its tuned on 9psi with a 9.5psi boost cut and it has a 10-12psi wastegate. thats half the reason id like it situated, the other half is my spool time is a lil slower due to the flapper not being closed all the way in an attempt to avoid boost cut. so probably just go with a 4bar map now that way i dont need to upgrade again later?
my exhaust now is kinda hacked together and i dont like it, i think its robbing power honestly.

#8 ·
yes this is my first turbo'd engine, i did everything myself except the the tuning. i had a member off here street tune it for me, its deff gonna need to be retuned once i get everything all said and done. im probably gonna have it dyno tuned next time i just wanna work out all the little things that i think could use improvement.

what is the turbo your running? Sounds big?

How much power do you estimate the engine is making?

Always retune after you change something. Do the tb you will notice a difference.
Keep the rev limiter at 7k my friend broke his by turning it up to 7200 from 6800
on ebay 50 trim at 11psi
my estimate on power is probably close to if not higher then 180whp on 9p.s.i the turbo is a ebay 6262 from what im told, im gonna look into that a lil more once i start working on it again.

#11 ·
yeah i had a garrett t0351 but accidentally fried it by hooking up the oil feed to the coolant port, then i got this one basically brand new for $150. i'm trying to figure out what direction im going with building the motor then it will be more suited for my power goals.

i didn't see but what are you tuned with? 6262 is HUGE for even a 200 hp build. downpipe buy a U bend or 2. i use eBay or Columbia mandrel bend.
crome gold on a street tune. and yeah ill have to check into one of those options thank you. and this turbo wasnt my first option, but as stated above i kinda had to pick this one up. hopefully over the winter i can build an engine and get it in and crank this thing up to whatever i need for boost to reach my 350-400 whp goal.

#13 ·
@TheAssassin: haha i dont think that theres a rod out there for the usdm d15 that can handle 600whp lol

so i made it the 45 mins out to my dads house and investigated the turbo some. all i gathered off it was its a .63 A/R hotside didnt see a casting mark for the cold side but got the serial number cant find anything on it S/N: M70502628 if anyone knows a way to look it up.( i fail at google rite now, i guess )

#17 ·
ill take some when i get back to where my car is, but for now i got 1 or 2 in my build thread if you want to see it

3 inch mandrel bent exhaust will improve spool time. I would think about getting rid of that clutch. If you take the time to get any kind of traction that clutch will grab too hard and quick. Can you say broken axles? If you are lucky that is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
thank you. the clutch is decent so far ive had it in for a while and no real problems. as for the axles i hear ya that will be taken care of when im making more power for now seems to be fine

ditch the internal wastegate.. theyve been known to fail.

Im quite sure a china charger is not the same as the precision counterpart.
If it were me, i would run a super 60 or a .50 trim (not a china charger) and get a downpipe fabbed that will flow w/o hard bends. 2.5" at a minimum.

The exhaust can be 2.5 or 3" for your power goals. I wouldnt get that cheap ebay crap either. Dont be that guy keeping the fartcan movement alive

Heres a great kit with all flanges, hangers and hardware. Just pick a resonator and muffler. Mine is Magnaflow
HONDA TK

and heres how it looks

the w.g works i kinda ghetto tested it with a bike pump with a gauge on it.

the turbo was supposed to be my garrett t0351 that i fried on accident, then picked this one up for a deal at the last moment. if i can locate a better turbo for a reasonable price ill scoop it up. but for now i gotta work with what i got

the exhaust is cheap but its stainless steel and its half the price i could just cut the fart can off and weld on a magnaflow and have basically the same thing you do for half the price. thanks for the advice tho, i actually got my catch can from you haven't used it yet tho lol

im on a little bit of a budget as i wasn't expecting alot of what happened, to actually happen.

#15 ·
3 inch mandrel bent exhaust will improve spool time. I would think about getting rid of that clutch. If you take the time to get any kind of traction that clutch will grab too hard and quick. Can you say broken axles? If you are lucky that is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#16 ·
ditch the internal wastegate.. theyve been known to fail.

Im quite sure a china charger is not the same as the precision counterpart.
If it were me, i would run a super 60 or a .50 trim (not a china charger) and get a downpipe fabbed that will flow w/o hard bends. 2.5" at a minimum.

The exhaust can be 2.5 or 3" for your power goals. I wouldnt get that cheap ebay crap either. Dont be that guy keeping the fartcan movement alive

Heres a great kit with all flanges, hangers and hardware. Just pick a resonator and muffler. Mine is Magnaflow
HONDA TK

and heres how it looks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.