Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello D series !!! i currently own a 1990 honda CRX DX with 95 si rear disc brake conversion and a DOHC ZC swap , but i want more power !! so i have a D16Z6 complete engine. I tore the engine down Friday to the shortblock, i plan to remove the crank and pistons on prolly friday down to the bare block. what is my next step? do i get the block sandblasted and hot tanked? i was looking for about 300-350 whp and i was planning on useing ARP hardware with 8:5.1 vitara pistons. do i need to replace my rods ?? if so im doing this on a budget so its gotta be cheap. Also will a T-25 turbo make this kind of power ? 450cc eclipse injectors ?? help me out guys

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
yes replace rods. no turbo will not do it. neither will the injectors. i will say read around more since theres a lot of info you dont have and it will take too long to post it all. i mean you need to read up on tuning, building the block, turbos, injectors, catch cans, everything. 94z6ex is in the process of building his setup... check out his threads and posts

·
sub-sponsor
5,175 Posts
t25 will not get you there lol tuner toy rods are 255

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track, but just do some more reading - maybe specifically into what other users' setups are and what they run (hp/quarters/etc etc).

Good choice with the Z6/ ARPs!

·
Registered
901 Posts
your best bet for 350whp is a 50 trim or 57 trim t3/t4 hybrid... the rod replacement is the most important thing on your build, come on now! i'm thinking some dsm 440's, tt rods, vitara pistons, 255lph fuel pump, IC, and a good tune will get you to where you wanna be. SO DO SOME READING! go HMT or something or read the stickies...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i need to bore to accept vitaras i thought they were 75mm ??? and if someone could point me in the direction of how to notch the block for the tuner toyz rods ??

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
I dont think you need to bore the block, but just make sure its able to seal the pistons with the rings really well cause vitaras CAN have piston slap which is not fun, and the notching I would do no matter cause. Just for safey.

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
Just take it to a machineshop and let them check it. Most of the stuff they do doesnt cost much. It only get up there when they bore and sleeve really.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Take it from me, all that deep cleaning stuff, do it your self and you will save money there. Then if you really on the budget get the acuras rod that fit the vitara piston, from what I heard all you need to do is take it to a machine shop to have the pin work done. But if you can I will just go ahead and buy after market rods I have seen them as cheap as $200. But take it from me that I spend $650 on my block, why? my crank was bad so I need it a new one, I need it to notch the block to make clerance for the after market Rods, you have to do this to the block but I will tell you to do it your self that way you will save money for the rods. If you crank is good, if you can go stock size piston 75mm then you are ok if you spend the money on the right parts.
put new bearings, vitara piston 75mm if possible that way you can just hone the block you are done
, FJT, which is a member here can hook you up with the best deal for piston,rings and bearings.New after market rods just shop around, notch the block for clearence of the rods, this you can do it your self with a rotary grinder and save money,. ARP studs with a good cylinder gasket. original honda or cometic. if need it, check to see if you block and head are straight to asure proper sealing. and thats about it for the engine.

the dsm injector should be good for a engine capable of running 12's in the 1/4 mile. Not sure about the turbo that you got. The most important thing is the tunning that can make a diffrence.
hope this info helps
and good luck.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i need to bore to accept vitaras i thought they were 75mm ??? and if someone could point me in the direction of how to notch the block for the tuner toyz rods ??
I thought the vitaras were 75.5, but I'm not completely sure on that. In fact, I think I read that in the for sale forum... so it's probably wrong.

Block notching writeup can be read here.

-Des!

·
Registered
835 Posts
whp and i was planning on useing ARP hardware with 8:5.1 vitara pistons.
damn 8:5.1 is a low fucking compression! how about 8.5:1? that seems more doable :haha:

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
I thought the vitaras were 75.5, but I'm not completely sure on that. In fact, I think I read that in the for sale forum... so it's probably wrong.

Block notching writeup can be read here.

-Des!
nope they are 75mm with the new option of getting 75.5's. and i asked fjt about the "slap". its not slap its a floating wrist pin style according to him. tunertoyz rods are cheap if they are in stock, othewise go with eagles. LS rods can be used but it requires more fabrication work. as for headgasket go oem. theres a thread on it and lots of people are not real happy with aftermarket gaskets. the injectors will be fine for the t25 but remember to use a resistor box. if the block is square (not warped n shit) use it. just make sure to give the cylinders a hone and get that nice crosshatch pattern. for bearings, read up on plastigauge and related info. now that t25 wont get you there but it has the same flange as various t28s and one of those will get you to 300. its on turbobygarrett.com but its spendy. t3/t4 probably would be a better option if you are on the cheap

1 - 20 of 27 Posts