Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having my local tuner shop install my greddy turbo kit, now honestly how long should it take to install this, saying the intercooler and all the piping bolt right up...... does it just take the most time to tune????? thanks

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have a friend who paid a Tintmasters out of Fargo to do it and they charged $700 i think. I thot that was ridicoulous cuz it is a bolt on turbo kit. With a decent set of tools anyone with moderate mechanical skills should be able to do it pretty easily.

·
Registered
369 Posts
its something you should be able to do if your not a complete idiot. I installed my s/c even though its a bit different install. the thing you will want somebody to do it tap your oil pan. Other then that its all gravy. :0

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
CivicY8 said:
its something you should be able to do if your not a complete idiot. I installed my s/c even though its a bit different install. the thing you will want somebody to do it tap your oil pan. Other then that its all gravy. :0
you dont have to tap it and its not that hard for someone to do it themselves.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Tuning and installing will be at two different rates. Installing will be at the mechanic's rate which as you said is $65 an hour. I would expect to be charged for 8-12 hours. Then tuning will probably be at roughly $100 an hour and expect to be charged 2-3 hours. So you are talking about roughly $900 for the whole job.

·
Registered
345 Posts
a greddy kit... It would take me 2-3 hours maybe... that includes drinking a few beers and eating some whitecastle.

To the OP you have 3000+ posts and you are having a "tuner shop" bolt up a greddy kit. I say bolt it up yourself and drive it there out of boost and let them tune it.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Not all people have a garage to work in. I have one but its too small to do any work in it. So I do it in the driveway, and with the weather being so cold I'd understand why he'd take it to a shop.

If you do have a heated garage to work in I'd do it there. No point in paying money to a shop if you could DIY so easily. Tuning on the other hand, if you are not comfortable doing it yourself then it would be money well spent.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
mikeD16Z6 said:
Not all people have a garage to work in. I have one but its too small to do any work in it. So I do it in the driveway, and with the weather being so cold I'd understand why he'd take it to a shop.
and a lot of people dont have the fabrication ability to do it either. if you are unsure of your ability, definately take it to a shop

·
Registered
736 Posts
But if it is a Greddy intercooler kit, then it will be bolt on. For $500 +- i would pay somebody to let me use there garage or something, hell, if you want to drive to northern minnesota i will let you use my shop, heated and all.

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
i say do it yourself. it's not that hard, there should be instructions with the greddy kit, you'll be proud of yourself for doing it, and you'll learn a lot too. but if you feel you must have a shop do it, it'll probably take like bigwig said, 8-10 hours plus other expenses.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
inspector01 said:
But if it is a Greddy intercooler kit, then it will be bolt on. For $500 +-
OUCH!! an extra $500 for the IC setup?!?

so kit at cost = $1300
IC kit = $500

$1800 and no real fuel management...

this is why i decided to do HMT style :smile:
drop a grand off that and you will be where im sitting

1 - 20 of 23 Posts