Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I have an EF Civic LX that is my daily driver. I was looking to upgrade my trans game and swap in a Si/ EX cable trans to gain a bit more get up and go.

Long story short I can't find any Si / EX cable trans anywhere near me. This got me thinking, since the only difference (at least to my knowledge) between LX and Si/EX trans are their final drives that I would just swap mine out for a different option. I was looking at the 4.7 and 4.9 final drive from MFactory and wanted to know how practical either of them where for daily driving. Anyone running stock gears with these? Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zealautowerks D series trans calculator to find crusing speeds, but I can tell you right now they aren't practical for dd, not practical but a wholelotta fun.
Fun is important in a daily driver. Punched in the numbers and with a 4.5 FD and a 5th gear from a HF I would get decent cruising RPMs. If I can't find a Si final drive then I'll probably throw those in. (y)

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
650 Posts
Fun is important in a daily driver
I agree 100%. just be wary of sustained engine speeds above 3500 rpms, alternators, power steering, and ac compressor clutch wear becomes a headache pretty rapidly, especially on a dd. Look into under drive crank pulley and/or accessory pulleys if you end up above 3500 constantly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree 100%. just be wary of sustained engine speeds above 3500 rpms, alternators, power steering, and ac compressor clutch wear becomes a headache pretty rapidly, especially on a dd. Look into under drive crank pulley and/or accessory pulleys if you end up above 3500 constantly.
Sounds like if I don't find a Si fd i will be spending a pretty penny slapping together a transmission that wont shack apart my car lol

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,711 Posts
CRX Si FD/5th 3500 rpm - 70 mph, motor don't care.

I'll see how many Si FD's I have tonight/tomorrow.

·
Registered
91 Hatch rally car
288 Posts
I can verify the alternator bit at least. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts