Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, im building my motor from scratch.
( build is for a d16z6 head+block, d16a1 pistons+rods+crank)
this is what i have so far
all my bearings ( rod + main )
all gaskets.

what other items do i need for this build...
what seals???
replaced bolts and such??
isnt there other things that you replace with the main bearings also?
is honda bond a must need?
if so where would i apply it???

thanks in advance..

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
do cam bearings, cam seals, valve guide seals, rear main seals, waterpump and timing belt while your down that far, rod wrist-pin bearings might be a good idea for reliability if the rods are being reused. If the motor sat at all, make double sure you lube the bearings in the distributor, and make double sure that the Timing belt tensioner is still good and won't seize on you (this has been found to be a problem on 2 swaps I have done.... the first time we found out by shreadding a timing belt... It's better to not learn this way.

When installing the harmonic balancer... it could be an issue of backing off if you hand-tight it, and if you impact it it will have problems being removed later. I suggest using a wrench getting the nut hand-tight, but before you install it use a small dab of Red locktite... small dab, and get it nice and snug, but not too tight.

when assembling use pleanty of "Lucas Assembly lube/Oil Stabilizer" or your favorite assembly lube.

·
Registered
951 Posts
When building my d16a6 last week all i needed was the crank main seal, head gasket, intake gasket, rings, bearings, cylinder hone, ring compressor, valve spring compressor, 1 cam seal and valve seals, oil pan gasket. LUcas is the shit.

The oil pump should come with the other crank seal in it, and the oil pickup gasket.

The seals that go on the ends of that steel tube that hold coolant on the back of the block comming from the water pump would have been nice. Not to mention your valve cover seals.

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
graveltravel said:
ohh, the engine is completely dissassymbled.
and its for N/A purposes also.
what about those things that go with your main bearings. thrust washers????
GET THEM!

without them you will DSM all over the place.

·
Registered
406 Posts
JaredKaragen said:
do cam bearings, cam seals, valve guide seals, rear main seals, waterpump and timing belt while your down that far, rod wrist-pin bearings might be a good idea for reliability if the rods are being reused. If the motor sat at all, make double sure you lube the bearings in the distributor, and make double sure that the Timing belt tensioner is still good and won't seize on you (this has been found to be a problem on 2 swaps I have done.... the first time we found out by shreadding a timing belt... It's better to not learn this way.

When installing the harmonic balancer... it could be an issue of backing off if you hand-tight it, and if you impact it it will have problems being removed later. I suggest using a wrench getting the nut hand-tight, but before you install it use a small dab of Red locktite... small dab, and get it nice and snug, but not too tight.

when assembling use pleanty of "Lucas Assembly lube/Oil Stabilizer" or your favorite assembly lube.

who the hell told you that man? whats wrist pin bearings, and why do you put locktight on the crank bolt, you torque it to 119ft/lbs that thing is not coming off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts