Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
make sure the skirts are not bent

make sure the ring lands are not crushed or pinched

look for deep scratches or large gashes.

also make sure the wrist pins can be removed and that the spiro locks are still there/reusable.

·
Registered
2002 Impala 90 Civic
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
make sure the skirts are not bent

make sure the ring lands are not crushed or pinched

look for deep scratches or large gashes.

also make sure the wrist pins can be removed and that the spiro locks are still there/reusable.
i asked about the skirts he said they are fine. didnt ask about ring lands. he sent me pix but not of each piston and every side so ill have to look at them in person before i buy them. thanks danz rep if i can(edit need to spread rep)

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
An easy way to check if the ring lands are crushed is to take a ring for them, and slide it all the way around, to make sure it moves freely.

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
When using a used piston there are a few things you need to check.
a. Measure at the bottom of the skirt. And see if its been polished down or machined down. Frequentlly scored pistons are just cleaned up and look fine. Without a Micrometer you have no idea of knowing.

b. The next thing you want to do is measure the top. And then see if the taper is still as per manufacturers specs. Most times used pistons will loose the right taper.

I would not pay for used pistons without checking both these parameters. i.e. taper and actual size.

·
Premium Member
95 Solvic, 93 dS si
694 Posts
RDC hit it right on the nose. Bring a micrometer with you, along with a list of the manufactueres specs. Another good indicator is manufacturers' design weight, in which case bring a scale (go ask a pot head if you can borrow his) and compare the weights of the pistons to the manufacturers' specs. Also like they said check the ringlands and also inspect the skirts for any marring. Also generally its a good idea to ask them face to face WHY they are selling them.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Poor pics, so one cannot tell much. But not only look for wear on the side, look for possible marks on the tops too to see if the excessive play from the spun bearing caused a piston to smack a valve. I've seen it!

When I spun a #4 rod bearing in my Z6 I pulled everything. Piston was fine, no excessive wear marks at all. Just needed a new crank and a totally new set of rods.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When using a used piston there are a few things you need to check.
a. Measure at the bottom of the skirt. And see if its been polished down or machined down. Frequentlly scored pistons are just cleaned up and look fine. Without a Micrometer you have no idea of knowing.

b. The next thing you want to do is measure the top. And then see if the taper is still as per manufacturers specs. Most times used pistons will loose the right taper.

I would not pay for used pistons without checking both these parameters. i.e. taper and actual size.
i wouild just take them to a machine shop to tell you the right spec on them:3dtard:

·
Premium Member
95 Solvic, 93 dS si
694 Posts
i wouild just take them to a machine shop to tell you the right spec on them:3dtard:
If its an aftermarket piston odds are they are going to have to research the specs for it, so your better off just doing it yourself so YOU know that the correct information has been used.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts