Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys long time lurker here figured id sign up. The question is, i have a d16 turbo 2000 civic. Has built motor. I overboosted and i have a hole in one of my pistons so i am replacing them. Already had wisecos so im gonna replace them with the same. That cylinder has a nick, a scratch if you will, in the cylinder wall. I can only guess on its depth but prolly twice the thickness of notebook paper. Not bad at all, will honing get this out? I dont think the block needs reboring cause all that got done about 5k miles ago. Also this nick is about a 1/4 inch from the top of the cylinder and the rings on the piston are about that far away from the top of the piston so will i be alright with just honing it out? Sorry if this is confusing but this was te best way to describe it.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Sounds chancy. Of course a rebore will fix it but that requires a lot of work and money.

Post a pic so we can see exactly.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
With the amount of money it sounds likr you have into the car, why chance it? I mean, unless you're getting these pistons for next to nothing they must be $400+... Why "waste" another set after a hard run?

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Maybe. Just honing the bore will not "get the nick out," but it will take down any edges that are on the nick. The proper way to fix this would be to get over-size pistons and bore the block out, if that wasn't already done when you first built the engine. From everything I have been reading about honing cylinders lately, it should be fine, but may cause problems with that particular cylinder.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
the newly acquired block i have is or has the same nick... on cylinder 2

honing wud be "ok" , mines about less than an inch from top and less than half an inch wide,

im saving up for oversize pistons, .25 and bore/hone it to be sure....

id not chance it in anyway... unless its a bone stock rebuild

IMO

·
Registered
ef7 crx
322 Posts
I think a good parrallel hone should get it out ok, is the nick above where the piston rings come to?
Dont, repeat dont use a shitty bottlebrush hone they are the ghey, and will put your cylendars out of round, get hold of a proper parrallel power hone (as pictured below) and give it a good reeming!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys just to let you know , i used a 3 stone honer and honed out all of the cylinders and let me tell you, it was easy and it turned out perfect. i used a digital micrometer to measure all the cylinders and they are all the same and I have already installed my new wiseco pistons.

This was the first time i have ever honed out a motor and it was easy just to let any of you know that are thinking of doing this yourself. I did it with the block still in the car and i used straight keresone for lubricating.

·
Registered
ef7 crx
322 Posts
Excellent, that's what i like to hear! Good shit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts