Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an a6 cam and a y7/y8 cam gear from some members on here. Im hoping to install the cam this weekend if I have the parts by then but before I do I have a question that searching couldnt answer.

I know there are alot of people that have done this so I figured I would go ahead and ask. Do I need to have my ecu (p06) tuned to run this cam in the b7? I know its the same head as the a6 so swapping cams basically turns it into an a6 head but before I try to install this I want to make sure Im not going to have to send out my ecu and have it chipped and tuned.

Any help would be awesome. I already have I/H/E so with this cam and soon a z6 manifold I will get the ecu tuned but I just want to know if itll be drivable until then.

·
Registered
544 Posts
yes it will be drivable till then, from what i'm told, and it will run pretty well, but tuning will get the last amount of HP out of it, Bisi told me with his stage 2 cam you don't need tuning, but to get the most HP out of it you need to tune, and you can basic tune with the adjustable cam gear you have (i believe its you that bought the rage gear)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No I bought the cam but not the adj gear. I bought a stock y7 from another user on here. I wish I had the money for the rage gear though.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
544 Posts
oo, but anyways it will work fine, but when you do get it tuned, having a adjustable cam gear will gain even more HP

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
no, you are more than fine untuned with an A6. Just install and enjoy

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
DX ecu already runs fat enough, the extra airflow evens it out with the bigger cam.

I drove my 93 DX HB for the first time tonight in 5 months, lugged it in 4th gear (3.72 FD) and WOW the A6 cam pulled nicely compared to my stocj 4 door slush box in Drive.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thats good to hear, I always thought my engine burned alittle rich so that would be nice of this cam evens it out. Thanks.

·
Registered
90 CRX Mini-Me Turbo
464 Posts
DX ecu already runs fat enough, the extra airflow evens it out with the bigger cam.

I drove my 93 DX HB for the first time tonight in 5 months, lugged it in 4th gear (3.72 FD) and WOW the A6 cam pulled nicely compared to my stocj 4 door slush box in Drive.

lol... how do u really feel Mista Bone?

Dr.Mike

·
Registered
Why two?
891 Posts
Just be sure to adjust your valve lash accordingly.

I believe i set mine to .006/.008 intake/exh.

Otherwise your car will run like doodoo.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I already printed off my manual pages for the torque steps, valve lash, and valve seal replacement.

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
Just be sure to adjust your valve lash accordingly.

I believe i set mine to .006/.008 intake/exh.

Otherwise your car will run like doodoo.
I believe stock is .007 intake and .009 exhaust...you trying to squeeze an inch in on me? LOL

·
Registered
Why two?
891 Posts
Better performance with .006/.008. Hell i went with .005/.007, but you will want to watch that idle.

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
1991 Honda Civic STD
810 Posts
Do I need to have my ecu (p06) tuned to run this cam in the b7?
No, but IMHO you should.. With a quality header & mandrel-bent exhaust, the Z6 mani & TB and a proper dyno tune this setup will put a smile on your face (especially with your Si trans) & easily put out 120+ whp :TU:

I made 117.7 whp with a lot of room for improvement with the above setup but by no means a good exhaust & header (Edelbrock 4-2-1, OEM cat, 2" tip for least noise.) 97* temps & 87 octane kept the tuning very conservative, but I never managed below 41 mpg highway while driving 70-80+ mph in my '91 hatch. Its fun beating a few DOHC Civics & Integras and having a 400 mile cruising range. :TU:

Cliff's notes: I picked up 27 whp with Crome and A6 cam advancing vs stock timing & P75 map.. Dang heat & tiny exhaust kept me below 120 whp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts