Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it normal for all D motors to pop randomly at idle? or is this a sign i need a new cap and rotor or wires? the OEM stuff is very expensive. The reason i ask is my old motor did this and when i put the new motor in the cap, rotor and wires was reused, the pop is random some times it idles for a long period with out the slightest burp other times it can pop a few times a minute, the sound definitely reminds me of a misfire sound yet the car runs smooth and drives fine under loads, i only notice this pop at idle. although one other maybe non related thing is if it is a miss perhaps it would explain why when i am cruising at light throttle load and my AFRs are steady they suddenly sweep rich for a milli sec and then back to steady, would that indicate a miss and hence unburned fuel? any way my honda dealership has every thing but the wires in stock i didn't want to waste cash on the stuff until i got feed back. please don't reply unless you have witnessed this exact same thing and either fixed it or know what it is.

ps. its not a lean pop as i have adjusted idle AFRs to very rich and the pop still is as random as it is when they are normal.

·
Registered
353 Posts
What's your exhaust setup? If you've got a really really open exhaust or a custom exhaust it might just be weird acoustics.

My car does this too but it's NA now with a 2.5" exhaust with just a glasspack and stock blown out muffler. I'm wondering if it's just because the exhaust is so open.

Giving this theory further thought I guess it's not really as likely as something mechanical. Maybe it's timing? I haven't checked mine. Have you checked yours?

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my cars timing and tune are spot on, i do have a large exhaust with greddy muffler.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm no exhaust genius or anything but I am a musician and I know from experience that acoustics can do some crazy things. You're running a turbo too though so I would imagine that that would muffle engine popping pretty well but who knows for sure.

I guess I'm not the D-Series guru you called for lol.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well its always done it and i always just assumed it was normal, but i figured i would ask if other people do it. the cap rotor and wires are the OEM ones from the motor i bougght who knows how old they are, they seem to be in good shape.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will change plugs tomorrow and inspect the cap

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
lean pop :)

as explained to me, ECU trying to adjust A/F at idle.

Only way to get rid of it is to disable the O2 sensor inputs.

Been a long day, Blundar and me traded lots of info, I might have some of it jumbled.

But with O2 active the ECU is searching high and low, no matter your settings. Free flowing exhaust only makes the noise more noticeable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts