Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am currently running a jdm d15b in my 94 civic found a y8 head but it is obd2 for 35 dollars can I put them together I googled and didnt find an answer

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
No, im pretty sure you did not google anything, unfortunately.

Which d15b do you have? there are OBD1 and OBD2 versions, and nonvtec and vtec versions.

That info is what is needed to see how you need to do the cam timing properly, as that will raise 3 different timing scenarios, or at least 2, to choose from, to correctly time the engine

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off your comment was not called for I do google shit before I ask questions and it is an obd1 its in my 94 civic and its basically the d15b7

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,099 Posts
depends on what head it is. some are obd2a and others are obd2b....and if you want to go further down the rabbit hole, some are 1.7 liter obd2a2.

I think you need to work on your google-fu.

search "d16 mini me definition"

report back to the class with your result.

also, grow some thick skin and don't be so damn salty.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I was hoping you would take my comment as "im not searching the correct terms"

kinda like if you had asked "how to time a d16"

the reply you would instantly get is WHAT D16?

Im trying to get the fire going, not blow it out.

I do a better job when Im a bit flustered. I do a shit job if Im handed the answer every time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I feel it my bad just I get frustatrated I searched and have been searching even through the threads and stickies I just didnt see anything on Hondas or it was really late seems like only time I can google stuff is when my kids are asleep and its summer break right now and I have four kids and working 6 days a week. Btw happy fourth wverybody

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
then break it down into chunks.

find out what motor you have, since you havent said.

Then do a basic search like vtec d15b jdm, and see if anything pops up

Then start searching d15b head swap and go from there.

I like looking at head gaskets in parts diagrams, it lets you get a feel for the similarities and differences pretty well.

Thas how I find out project information, like the 5lug swap I wanna do with my accord.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just figured y would I put a different vtec head where a different vtec head was. Its just I have a opportunity to buy a d16y8 for 50 buck or head for 35 so was really wondering what is better a d16y8. Or buy tye head and my jdm block and the y8 head. The head is obd2 my block is obd1

·
4,099 Posts

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
537 Posts
I find searching for stuff like this much easier on a desktop compared to a mobile device. You can scan through content faster too see what's relevant and open a bunch of tabs and flick between them much quicker.

Maybe i just have potatos for fingers, but searching on a mobile... I'd rather pull teeth.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have cable right now or internet so all I have is my mobile at the moment I'm just trying to plan for next spring. I have a couple go carts I'm trying to get in order.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also my question was about obd1 block and ob2 head not so much about the mini me swap

·
4,099 Posts
it doesn't matter. the car is obd1, therefore youre going to retain your obd1 sensors..... "you cant see the woods for the trees"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok thank u just wasn't sure because I can buy a d16y8 for fifty bottom end needs rebuilt or the head for 35

·
4,099 Posts
still wouldn't matter. you'd be using the obd1 sensors.....you would just have to convert the distributor plug....or use the b7 since it will supposedly bolt up.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
as far as Im concerned, if the whole motor is 50, just the head is 35, but the engine itself needs a rebuild, the REAL question is WHY??

If its a spun bearing, it most likely got starved of oil. SHIT HEAD.

If it overheated badly. SHIT HEAD.

If it was over-revved to the moon from a missed gear, most likely SHIT HEAD.

In short, dont waste time on cylinder heads from a burned motor unless you are WILLING and ABLE to get the head checked out at a local machine shop. You never know a heads condition by simply looking at it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
as far as Im concerned, if the whole motor is 50, just the head is 35, but the engine itself needs a rebuild, the REAL question is WHY??

If its a spun bearing, it most likely got starved of oil. SHIT HEAD.

If it overheated badly. SHIT HEAD.

If it was over-revved to the moon from a missed gear, most likely SHIT HEAD.

In short, dont waste time on cylinder heads from a burned motor unless you are WILLING and ABLE to get the head checked out at a local machine shop. You never know a heads condition by simply looking at it.
Thank u for the links slo_eg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts