Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm planning to buy friends 96 dx hatch, with a d16y8 swap. Thing runs good been in it multiple times. The only thing that worries me is the guy who did the swap used a hacked up engine harness apparently. Vtec doesn't engage and apparently it's missing some sensors. My question is, since he's been running the car like this for a lil while, will it harm the engine? I plan to replace the engine harness as soon as I can, but I don't want this thing to blow up in my face sometime down the road.

thanks in advance for any help! it is much appreatiated

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
There is no telling. I would have to know what sensors are missing and see it run to know if its caused any problems.

Most sensors that would be left undone would be iat, vtec, crank sensor.
Other then that and it might not run.

But since your planing on getting a new harness it would work for you.
Swap the harness as soon as you get the car and go over everything.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Compression testing takes about 15 min, that will tell you how healthy the motor is.

If you think its in good enough condition buy it and replace the missing sensors and get running like it should be.

Good luck with it

·
Registered
EG Hatch
831 Posts
well... i think the fact that you're asking this question in the first place gives us some insight on how knowledgeable you are about cars/hondas..

just know that it's going to be a project to pull out that harness and sort through that guys mess..

if it were me.. i'd comp test it with a little rental autozone kit.. if the numbers looked good then i'd buy it if the price is right.. knowing that it's going to be weekend/s of working on a car instead of having some other kind of fun or taking care of some other responsibility.. and a harness, maybe more..

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
R&R a harness isn't difficult. Easiest solution for you is to source another non vtec harness for the car and purchase a vtec add on harness such as This
It will add all the needed wires for vtec in your chassis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts