Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a FAST question i know i should search i will just seeing if theres a person that has a fast answer haha!

My 4dr b20 battery light came on the other day it was on for about 4 days then one night the car died.....alternator or battery pretty much.....

well I can turn the car on as of now ( battery light stays on) and i pull the neg. wire off battery and car dies pretty quick. that is a battery issue correct?

Or is it the other way around??????

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its the other way around... jump the car and check the voltage at the battery. sounds like the alt. is going out.
OH ok??!!

i bought a decent used alt. from a buddy i just wanted to save the work in the damn 90 dgree heat lol!:slap:

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Yeah, by the sounds of things the alternator isn't charging the car at all while running. If disconnect the battery while the car is running, it should function and not die on you. It does sound like the alt...

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alternator for sure. But you'll probably need a new battery or recharge it since the alternator wasn't charging it.
ive got it on a float charger as we speak and 4dr in the garage gonna do it tomoorrow i think rep given to all thanks!:haha:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I'll just give you a little tip, never disconnect a battery while the car is running, this is a horrible way to test anything, and can actually cause damamge.

All you have to do is throw a volt meter on the battery ( harbor freight sells them for 99 cents ) . If the volts are 14v or greater, the alternator is fine. Also keep in mind, if the alternator has been gone for awhile and you have been driving on just the battery, you can discharge the battery so much that it won't wanna hold a charge. Just had this happen last week to a customers car.

Here is a small write up

One Simple Battery Test:

1) Connect the voltmeter directly across the "Battery Terminals". (NOT to the Cable Clamps)

2) While watching the meter, Start the Car.

3) The Battery Voltage should Never fall below about 10 Volts.
If it does:
a) The battery is either "Low in Charge".

b) Or The Battery is "Low in Water".
(The water leven in the battery should be about 1/4 of an inch, Above the Plates.)
"DO NOT" Fill it up FULL.

c) Or The battery has a "High Internal Resistance".
(Possibly Sulfided Plates and probably Time for New Battery?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts