Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i know for sure my vtec is actually working.. i got this d15b vtec engine in recently, and ive had some wiring issues. So i dont know for sure is i have the vtec wiring correct... I mean its not hard to do and im pretty sure its right but is there a way to know for sure?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha ya. Thats another thing too. I think its suppose to engage at about 5500rpm? or somewhere in there. I cant really hear or feeel any difference in power when accelerating hard.. So i dont believe its working.

·
Registered
77 Posts
if you think its not working then it probably isnt

but it could be different it different cars.. but both of my d16s had a pretty definite tone change

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i bought a wire harnesss from rywire so its not like i really had to do much wiring... just plug and go. So im almost positive the wiring part is right..

ive read theres a screen in the solenoid that could be clogged.. and prevent oil from getting in there causing it not to work

when i got the engine the head was completly gunked up. I mean bad. I also did a motor flush once i got the engine in and the oil screen got clogged causing me to loose oil pressure. Do you think the vtec solonoid could be clogged too?

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
haha ya. Thats another thing too. I think its suppose to engage at about 5500rpm? or somewhere in there. I cant really hear or feeel any difference in power when accelerating hard.. So i dont believe its working.
Do you have Bolt On's on your Engine? What do you have on it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheap DC replica header, Invidia exhaust, and Intake.

I just took the vtec solenoid off and WOW. that thing was nasty.. the screen was full of gunk. So i cleaned it the best i could and put it back on.
Doesn't feel like anything changes. I made sure the car was fully warmed up. I I just installed a new oil pump the other day so i have lots of oil pressure.
I did a couple full throttle pulls from 2nd gear at about 3k and brought it up to about 6800 or so. and also did it with 3rd gear. Vtec should engage at about 5400 or 5500 with a stock p28 correct? I honestly can not hear any difference in the tone of the engine around that RPM, let alot any difference in power.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is how it looked when i took it off... I didnt get an after pic once it was cleaned but I did a pretty good job of cleaning it.

EDIT: i forgot to hit the "close up" button on the camera so its kinda blurry. Sorry

·
Registered
77 Posts
what did you clean it with?

I have a spare one that i was going to clean before i sell it but i didnt want to use regular cleaner and possibly mess a sensor up but i read something on this fourm that says it'll work fine so idk

you dont have a check engine light on do you

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,664 Posts
Well VTEC was designed to not be noticed when it engages.

You can tap into the ECU wire that activates the solenoid and hook it up to a 12v LED. Then at least you'll know if the ECU is signaling the solenoid. Another thing to try is to run 12v to the solenoid and see if you hear it click.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The d15b has a pretty aggressive vtec crossover from my experience (the d15b has a more aggressive cam, or so I've read). I have a d15b head on my b7 with a p28 ecu. It should at least be pretty audible with an intake and/or exhaust. I'd try the above suggestion first, make sure your solenoid isn't bad.

·
Registered
209 Posts
alright ill try that out. but im not so smart when it comes to wiring.. my buddy helped me out getting this thing wired, he knew what he was doing. hes wired up a few civics before. But he is gone for 2 weeks, so im kinda outa luck here. So when you say wire up a 12v led to the ecu wire for the solenoid.. i really have no idea where that is on the ECU.. is that just the wire that goes to the 1 wire sensor that plugs into the solenoid? if so you mean just splice the wire and add another wire for a 12v led light and that should light up when vtec kicks on?

what did you clean it with?

I have a spare one that i was going to clean before i sell it but i didnt want to use regular cleaner and possibly mess a sensor up but i read something on this fourm that says it'll work fine so idk

you dont have a check engine light on do you
i just wiped it off the best i could with a rag..

I have no engine light.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i had that issue before i just ran it with the vtec disconnected and then with it on and u can really tell the differance and you can hear it to like others said.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey im almost positve u have to run a ground wire for the vtec oil switch did you do that?? i have a y8 in my civic w intake and when vtec kicks in there is a really big tone change for me
well theres 2 sensors on the Vtec thing. one is a 1 wire sensor. which is black. the other is a 2 wire sensor. red and green i think.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok the two wire one where do those wires run to ecu?
im not really sure. the vtec and o2 sensor are part of the Sub harness i got from rywire...

when you guys say the vtec solenoid needs to be grounded.. how and where? all i see is the 1 wire sensor thats plugged to the vtec, and another 2 wire sensor thats plugged to the vtec. all 3 of those wires are wrapped up nice and go through to the firewall and im guessing into the ecu.. i dont see any ground wire for the vtec anywhere..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts