Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im in the process of getting a Z6 fully rebuilt for a reliable low boost daily driver/weekend track application and the option to turn up the boost a little more in the future. currently im shooting for about 200HP and in the future id like to get anywhere from 250-300HP.

but i will using some vitara pistons, which i already have. id also like to combine it with some eagle rods, but im debating with just staying with the stock rods or some cheap LS rods now for sake of my budget.

so my questions are after the pistons are installed my CR is going to be lower right?

is it OK to run the engine NA for a while so that i can break it in before i throw on a turbo kit? im guessing it wont perfrom the same as a stock z6 due to the lower CR.

sorry if it doesnt make sense any help would be great!

·
Registered
698 Posts
The dude to talk to is fjt, he knows these things front to back! The comp ratio will be lower but (what i remember) fjt says he didnt really notice a difference when he had ran his NA for a brief time. It wont hurt anything to have a low comp ratio. I believe they are like 8.5/1.
If im wrong someone please correct me.

Id say just get some TunerToys rods, they arent too terribly pricey and i believe they are made by Eagle.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I asked fjt about z6 CR with Vitara a couple of months back. if you use z6 head gasket, which i don't recommend, your CR will be around 8.5(correct me if im wrong). If you use the y8 metal gasket, which i recommend, and then remove the middle layer your CR will be 9.1 which is good enough for turbo.
I'll be getting Vitara piston and Eagle rods for my bottom end.

·
Registered
152 Posts
funkified said:
im in the process of getting a Z6 fully rebuilt for a reliable low boost daily driver/weekend track application and the option to turn up the boost a little more in the future. currently im shooting for about 200HP and in the future id like to get anywhere from 250-300HP.

but i will using some vitara pistons, which i already have. id also like to combine it with some eagle rods, but im debating with just staying with the stock rods or some cheap LS rods now for sake of my budget.

so my questions are after the pistons are installed my CR is going to be lower right?

is it OK to run the engine NA for a while so that i can break it in before i throw on a turbo kit? im guessing it wont perfrom the same as a stock z6 due to the lower CR.

sorry if it doesnt make sense any help would be great!

Buy Eagle Rods, the time and money you spend to rebush you stock LS rods not counting the machine work, you'll be more then half way to a new set of eagle rods which our much reliable for boost then the stock LS rods.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Id say just get some TunerToys rods, they arent too terribly pricey and i believe they are made by Eagle.
Those rods our junk im my option, every set I have seen have been poorly machined, thier is no clearance for the rod to move once it is join to the piston, its will cause alot of stress on the motor and result in failure. Those rods our not made at the same factory as eagle, thats is a poor marketing sceam to promote a poorly designed product. I would release the true manufactor but that would only lead to more people to purchase the product to make a quick buck!

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Those rods our junk im my option, every set I have seen have been poorly machined, thier is no clearance for the rod to move once it is join to the piston, its will cause alot of stress on the motor and result in failure. Those rods our not made at the same factory as eagle, thats is a poor marketing sceam to promote a poorly designed product. I would release the true manufactor but that would only lead to more people to purchase the product to make a quick buck!
???.....u are starting to shatter my dreams of a low end build.....someone else...confirm...:(

·
Registered
52 Posts
MANY people run the tunertoys rods in high hp d builds with NO problems.

the big difference is yes, the overall finish isnt as "neat and clean" as eagle. (some require main girdle to be shaved for rod bolt clearance).

but other than that, they are a great rod for the price IMO.:D

·
Premium Member
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
MANY people run the tunertoys rods in high hp d builds with NO problems.

the big difference is yes, the overall finish isnt as "neat and clean" as eagle. (some require main girdle to be shaved for rod bolt clearance).

but other than that, they are a great rod for the price IMO.:D
well said.... and coming on here and basicalyl saying that an affiliate that does quite a bit for this site is junk isnt the best way to start your membership here imo

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I asked fjt about z6 CR with Vitara a couple of months back. if you use z6 head gasket, which i don't recommend, your CR will be around 8.5(correct me if im wrong). If you use the y8 metal gasket, which i recommend, and then remove the middle layer your CR will be 9.1 which is good enough for turbo.
I'll be getting Vitara piston and Eagle rods for my bottom end.
whats the benefit of a 9.1CR as opposed to a 8.5CR? I already have the z6 HG so i dont really want to buy another one. i guess i could sell it but its just another hassle.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
a couple horses at most. i believe the TT rods are made by SCAT. and they are good rods, jut the design is slightly off. little machining is all that is needed.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
oh yea 200 is easily reached with that setup. hell vitaras have gone to 400 whp. im not sure about the greddy kit. but i think Chiovnidca's daily driver has over 200 on a greddy kit and stock internals.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
higher CR may give you a few more HP in boost, but its gonna be a lil quicker out of boost, and you will actually spool SLIGHTLY quicker... but the lower the CR; the more wiggle room you have in tuning.... you can tune a 10:1 CR motor; but it won't be easy.... (FYI: DSM's come stock with ~8.5:1 CR, so its not horrible...)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Hey SpoolinSol - what kind of numbers are you getting with your setup? what are you running?
street tuned to ~190 whp (8 psi). little 14b(ported turbine housing)/HF mani combo... after the build i'm just gotta run this turbo (at max efficiency of course, lol) then upgrade to a 57 Trim, Stage 3 wheel, .63/.60 (check out drunkinmaster1's car for the numbers i'm shooting for :haha:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts