Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I picked up an 89 si hatch for cheap, snapped the timing belt. I've fixed a few without replacing the heads and they ran fine. I was hoping the same would go for this one, but I took out the number one cylinder spark plug out and it had a great amount of oil on it. Not the top part, the actual plug that fires down in the cylinder. My only guess is the valve bent or broke and allowing oil from the head in? If so do you think the engine is alright? I've got a head, just curious if you think the bottom end is junk now. Pulling the head tomorrow

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
Broken valve itself probably wouldn't allow much oil into the cylinder, but if it pimp slapped the piston then it could have... Only two ways to find out, either pull the head or do a compression test.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Broken valve itself probably wouldn't allow much oil into the cylinder, but if it pimp slapped the piston then it could have... Only two ways to find out, either pull the head or do a compression test.
I'm really hoping the bottom end is still good. We'll find out tomorrow. Car came from middle aged man, and before him a girl had it. Hasn't been riced out or the piss ran out of it. Guy said it ran perfect before it snapped.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
my plugs were drenched in oil i was loosing a cup a week due to wrong gaskets on my sparkplug tubes

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my plugs were drenched in oil i was loosing a cup a week due to wrong gaskets on my sparkplug tubes
But the oil was on top of the plugs, where the plug wires go. My oil is coming from inside the cylinder where the plug makes a spark. If the gaskets on your sparkplug tubes are bad, they will leak oil on top of the plug, but not inside the cylinder

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
how many miles are on the car, how much is a great amount, could be possible from worn valve guide seals.

either way pull the head and check for bent valves and freshen her up will your in there. just food for thought

hopefully the bottom end is fine

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
I'm really hoping the bottom end is still good. We'll find out tomorrow. Car came from middle aged man, and before him a girl had it. Hasn't been riced out or the piss ran out of it. Guy said it ran perfect before it snapped.
lol Coming from a girl isn't as good as you might think... most don't worry about maintenance, "If it still runs, its fine..."

My car was a one owner (Girl had it originally) and was on its second engine already before I got it with 130k miles on the chassis.

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
lol Coming from a girl isn't as good as you might think... most don't worry about maintenance, "If it still runs, its fine..."

My car was a one owner (Girl had it originally) and was on its second engine already before I got it with 130k miles on the chassis.
What's oil, I thought it ticks because it's Japanese lol.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
lol Exactly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have oil on top of your spark plugs, chck your spark plug tube seals. You don't have to remove the head. Take the valve cover off and check the gaskets at the top of the spark plug tube. They will probably still be stuck to the inside of the valve cover. Then check the seals by taking the cam caps and rocker shafts. Easy fix. As for the broken timing belt, say a nice little prayer and hope that no valves are bent. If they are, you would do well to find another d16. It would cost you more to replace the valves, get a valve job, and buy a head gasket kit than to buy one of those at a boneyard. Don't spend more than $200-$300 on it.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
If you know it broke a belt AND it has oil on the plug electrodes, you really should pull the head to check it out. It very likely bent a valve or two and maybe did other damage.

I am an old guy, like 62, so you might think if you buy my car to get a car thats had a soft life. SUCKER, you just bought something that sees the rev limiter at every opportunity. Suspension and brakes get a similar workout as I regularly ride up on low kerbs to straighten out corners and hammer the brakes until they are smoking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts