Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a while back that the z6 oil pump is one of the better oil pumps for D16 engines. Now I was wondering, will a z6 oil pump work in a y7 block? If not are there any good aftermarket ones available? Any info is greatlly appreciated.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn. Well thanks for the quick feedback man.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
i was doing research on this topic some time ago and from what i've read and understood. in the sohc engine all the oil pump are the same. but since they are tune different and have diffterent hp, they flow different. this is the list of oil pumps that i've read that are the same yet they flow different due to engine built. i want to clearly state i did not say this i've read this over the years on the net so take it with a grain of salt. but you do have to think since almost everything in honda is interchangeable why not this part. i guess honda done something right to keep from belling up like most american car companys. here are the list of oil pump where are the same:

D15B1
D15B2
D15B6
D15B7
D15B8
D15Z1
D16A6
D16Z6
B16A3
(i was surprise when i saw this one.)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
It might be the same oil pump, the diffrence is withing the engine itself.
http://www.d-series.org/forums//showthread.php?t=68277

scroll down and you will read that the Z6 lubricates better Because it has two additional holes that helps with lubricating the engine better, the Y8 doesn't have this two extra holes. So it might be the same oil pump, but I guess it has to do more with the engine design.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
You can actually have someone go through your stock pump. Chamfer the holes for better flow and shim the spring inside to bring up the pressure. I had a friend do that to mine. He said that I will no longer have to worry about oil pressure again. Its a great insurance and not too expensive at all.
Don

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
the z6 oilpump has the best flowrate and will work on an obd2 block with one problem, the dipstick on the z6 is in the block while the dipstick on a y7 or y8 iis in the oilpump. so using a z6 oilpump will make it impossible to check your oil.
fast2camcivic had my oilpump ported and shimmed which is a common mod that you can find on energy dynamics. it worked great without any spun bearings.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I had a D16YX oil pump ported and shimmed when I had to do my bottom end swap (spun bearing), it's been good so far. There was a link to the "endyn" page that had pics and instructions on how to mod the pump somewhere on this site.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
What I heard about bumping the oil pressure is that you have to know how your engine was build, For example:

If you are running looser main and rod clearances then it might be a good idea, and if you are running tighter clearances and if you want to free up some power, then reducing pressure might be a tactic that you may want to investigate with your machinist.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
More oil pressure no matter what on a race engine is key. That has been one of the most popular upgrades for decades with v-8s. It doesnt matter about clearences at all.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
More oil pressure no matter what on a race engine is key. That has been one of the most popular upgrades for decades with v-8s. It doesnt matter about clearences at all.
so you're saying, i should upgrade my oil pump reguardless. just cause i'm upgrading my internals for more hp? is that what are you stating?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
if the crankshaft is the issue, maybe people should just change it for the z6

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Well, would you change to cross drilled and slotted rotors and then put your old pads back on? Or would you put new pads on?? The oil pump upgrade is just added insurance. Its never too bad to have more oil flow.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
technically you could use the old pads with the new rotors, but you are gonna screw up the new rotors.

just sayin'

anyways i plan on changing my oil pump when i do my mini-me. dont want my vtec only half kickin' in because of the lack of oil pressure/oil volume

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
don the this question to you. as we spoke on pms about this, "should i" portmatch my oil pump to the gaskets, and engine plus add an extra shim. the only reason i ask is that is cause i am doing an all motor build.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
same here planning on doing an all motor build, so this would be good info to have

·
Registered
402 Posts
don the this question to you. as we spoke on pms about this, "should i" portmatch my oil pump to the gaskets, and engine plus add an extra shim. the only reason i ask is that is cause i am doing an all motor build.
Like I said, my stock NA engine spun a bearing about 2000kms after I got it (had 215,XXXkms at the time), a ported/shimmed oil pump would have likely prevented this. If you've ever got your D16YX apart, do the modded oilpump, it's cheap insurance.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
If you do it. It gives you one less thing to worry about. I would do it to every motor I tear down and re assemble yes

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Like I said, my stock NA engine spun a bearing about 2000kms after I got it (had 215,XXXkms at the time), a ported/shimmed oil pump would have likely prevented this. If you've ever got your D16YX apart, do the modded oilpump, it's cheap insurance.
If you do it. It gives you one less thing to worry about. I would do it to every motor I tear down and re assemble yes
thanks guts i've been asking these question for some time but maybe i wasn't asking it correctly. off to learn the right way to shimmy it, and maybe a DIY might come out of this. lol. rep for ya. if i can. lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts