Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When i went to install my oil drain line yesterday, i found that the turbo sits so low that it actually puts the straight feed fitting that connects to the turbo under the tap location in the pan. The fitting in the pan is angled 45 degrees up so it makes it that much worse.

i reason it goes under the loaction of the tap in the pan is because the fitting that connects to the drain flange on the turbo is straight and about 1.5-2" long. If figure if the fitting wasnt straight that it would work just fine, so i went to northerntool.com and ordered both a 90 degree fitting and a 45 degree fitting.

here is the flange that goes on the turbo:

i would connect the 45 degree or 90 degree adaptor to that fitting and then connect the straight fitting to that.

here is a link to the fittings:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_53772_53772
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_53754_53754

I wanted to know if this would work. The threads on the fittings i bought is NPSM and NPTF........the thread on the oil drain adapter is NPT.

all are 1/2"

So, will the NPSM work with the NPT considering it a straight to taper connection? I will just use teflon to seal it.

also, will a 90 degree fitting allow the turbo to drain properly, or will the oil just build up and not flow to the pan?

thanks

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heres a pic of the oil fitting and how long it is.......it poings straight down from the turbo.......do you see why its hard to run the oil line?

i figure a 90 degree or 45 degree fitting SHOULD fix it.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 45 degree fittings would be the shortest route, but you said it sits below the fitting on the oilpan? hmmmm....

throw up a pic!
i cant take a pic right now....im at school. i will try to get one up later.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but will a 90 degree fitting work, or will it not drain into the pan and just build up oil beacuse it is an even plane?

thanks

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
those fittings are hella long. find something shorter?
well, i can cut one of them if i absolutely have to. I cant cut the other one because it is already installed to the hose and that thing isnt coming off. I only have about 7-8" of hose, so i cant cut it.

Im hoping the fittings i bought will take care of my problem.

the tap in the pan and the adapter on the turbo arent directly in-line either. They are offset because if they were dead on even with each other then it would interfere with the bolt on the oil pan and i would be able to reinstall it. not sure if that matters, but i thought i would throw that out as well

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I need to fix my fittings as well. The turbo sits low the angle is really bad.

·
Registered
629 Posts
whatever you do, don't halfass your drain. mine is way too low and it burns a bit of oil from time to time because of it. poor oil returns are just as bad on the turbo as running without a restrictor.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whatever you do, don't halfass your drain. mine is way too low and it burns a bit of oil from time to time because of it. poor oil returns are just as bad on the turbo as running without a restrictor.
thats why im trying to order the right parts so its not halfassed :TU:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts