Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer who wants me to turbo his R18.
He seems to be quite keen on the bolt on kits.

Personally Ive never believed in the kit route. But hey if the customer wants it and is willing to pay for it. Why not?.

So the question is are any of the bolt on kits worth it ?
What do you think on the Kit vs Custom package.

What route would you take ?

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
putting boost into the motor is the easy part.

its the fueling and timing id be concerned about.

i think any 06 or older honda can be fairly easily tuned with kpro

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I wonder if its even worth it. I know Ive seen turbo R18 dynos and Im pretty sure I was extremely unimpressed.

Id rather have a D...

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
that sucks. :(

although if u can tune d17s with kpro i cant see why u cant tune an r18?
Nothing for the JDM motors specifically, from what I know. Not sure what the differences are, but we have the JDM version of the car and engine. Running a USDM solution of the Hondata would mean lack of almost all support unless they want to help.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Hondata makes FlashPro for the R18 Civics, but I'm not sure if it would work for the Indian civics.

Full Race R18 FAQ: Full-Race Civic R18 Turbo Kit FAQ | Full-Race.com
^^Overpriced, IMO. All you need is an exhaust 'manifold' to turbo adapter, charge piping, intercooler, MAF, and downpipe. I don't see how they charge almost $3000 for that...

This is Full Race's R18 kits with EFR 6258 @ 10psi.. Turbo should be good for 300whp, atleast.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the inputs guys.
The issue is that if mess with the ECU. The key factor is keeping the electroic dash board powered and working.
Im not too happy with the Piggy Back Route. Quite a few guys in Bangalore have gone the kit route with a Piggy Back and Boom Slang Harness for Plug and Play. But I just hate Pigy backs and if I have to run one I would rather design it my self.

The engine code is R18 and I have seen a lot of R18 Kits on offer.
I own a D the customer a R18 what do I tell him ?
He likes the R18 cause its new. handles better and its parked in his drive way.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Hondata makes FlashPro for the R18 Civics, but I'm not sure if it would work for the Indian civics.

^^Overpriced, IMO. All you need is an exhaust 'manifold' to turbo adapter, charge piping, intercooler, MAF, and downpipe. I don't see how they charge almost $3000 for that...

This is Full Race's R18 kits with EFR 6258 @ 10psi.. Turbo should be good for 300whp, atleast.
That is pretty damn sweet to be honest.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
The engine code is R18 and I have seen a lot of R18 Kits on offer.
I own a D the customer a R18 what do I tell him ?
He likes the R18 cause its new. handles better and its parked in his drive way.
Tell him the truth. You've never worked with a R18, your more familiar with the D's, and you'd rather not work with a piggyback ECU. If you're still willing to try, tell him, but make sure he knows the risks of a piggback ECU and so on.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts

*snip*
Thats much better than I expected. Maybe its like the D and it just took a while before people gave them a chance and tried to make real power.

I wonder how much the stock rods can take though

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Well there is always the nuclear option...

Megasquirt III, which will natively be able to control VVT, or MSII with a VVT tuner (made by diy auto tune)

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Well there is always the nuclear option...

Megasquirt III, which will natively be able to control VVT, or MSII with a VVT tuner (made by diy auto tune)

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
That 'kit' also includes a Borg Warner EFR turbo, so the 3000 bucks is not a scam. Doesn't include any Hondata solution though.
It's $4500 with the turbo. I factored the turbo price out and got $3000.
$3000 for a MAF, piping, intercooler, and "manifold" is fucking bullshit, IMO.

But hey, people will pay for it because it's "Full Race!".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts