Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 97 civic coupe D16Y8 turbo pushing 16PSI 293hp.
A FJ distribution vitara build piston custom rods, race bearing and so on.

Well im sure my OEM honda head gasket is bad but i just want to make sure. The reason I'm saying this is because when I'm full throttle the distill water/water watter is being push out into the reservoir and this keeps happing till there is barely any water in the system to cool of the engine. I have a full size radiator from summit racing 21x13x3 dual pass with a 18 PSI radiator cap

At the point the engine will over heat because of not having enough water. But if i drive the car normal it stays cool with no problem. Now i did check the coolant system didnt see any oil or weird things in it and same goes with the oil in the engine, no milky liquid any where.

I did a compression test about three weeks ago and the number were
1)180 2)178 3)180 4)179

·
Registered
22 Posts
could be number of things....I'd start with rad cap, thermostat, or timing. if its only happening under wot it's possibly not your hg

what turbo you using??

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im using arp head studs

It has a new thermostat, radiator cap i use a 16 and 18 psi with the same problem

All distill water and one bottle of water watter

I dunno if it lifting under boost

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it has a aluminum radiator 21"x13"x3" dual pass. with a perma cool fan 12" (2300 CFM)

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
you probably are getting detonation under boost, and the pressure pikes are pushing combustion into your coolant system displacing it.

usually that is what happens, if its not a bad rad cap.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont think so because i just got the car tune for e85 and the guy didnt see anything weird and i know he did check everything cuz he build my motor and trans also tune my four times already with no problems

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
If nothing leaks into the water jacket at low load, it's not a gasket or crack, therefore it must be head lift under load. Head lift most often occurs under detonation.

If it was tuned for E85, then what blend. E85 varies greatly from time to time and place to place as the summer/warm climate brew of 15/85 petrol/ethanol is to hard to start in winter/cold climate so they change it to more like 25/75. This is lower octane.

Also E85 can absorb quite a lot of water if it's a bit old or stored in well ventilated containers or in very humid conditions. The water content effectively leans the tune.

·
Registered
20 Posts
does the heater blow hot in the car? check and feel the inlet and outlet hoses from heater core and then radiator hoses might indicate a problem there.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Need to re-surface the head and check the block. Go back with an OEM MLS headgasket.

Follow the instructions on the ARP studs and use a moly lube if you don't have any of the ARP lube. Everyone has there own way of torquing ARP's, but no one here works for the R&D department for ARP. So... follow the directions by the manufacturer.

You need to verify that you have a good sealing surface before we move on to timing, and so on.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so if its head lift what do i do?? also it didnt happen after i went E85, it was doing it when i was use 93 too.

ya i can feel heat come out.

i dont know what was the torque because i didnt build the motor, i had this motor for about 3 years now and it just started acting up this year.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts