Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting my vitara build together and I have a fel-pro head gasket and I was wondering if I should copper spray the gasket or not? It's the 3-layer perma-torque crap. Also I have different RVT sealants, which one would be the best for the oil pump? blue, black, red? thanks.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Get GREY RTV. As for the copper spray, I guess it just depends on preference. I only copper spray mine when I reuse them (if its reusable).

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
black or red for the oil pump..i would not use the copper spray...

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
do not use red, its outdated and will foul out o2 sensors. rtv black does everything red does and is o2 sensor safe, the best to use is the grey "right stuff" from permatex in that cheese wizz can. i promise you after you use that you will never use anything else again. I PROMISE.

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
Just assembled my Vitara build and used the ultra grey permatex and NO copper spray on the head gasket... I agree with theidealone about only using the copper spray when re-using the head gasket... The only reason I would use it then is if the headgasket "Black" coating is missing or flaky...

Just make sure your head and block are SUPER cleand and DRY before you assemble the head and block together and all will be well... ;) Same goes for the oil pump and the oil pan gasket...

Good luck with the build and POST SOME PICS!!!

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Copper spray is the never ending argument. Some say yes and some say no...both have good success either way.

I am a die-hard copper spray fan, use it on every build/rebuild and I have never had a HG failure.

·
Registered
2007 Dodge ram
293 Posts
never had a head gasket failure either... just dont like the idea of the copper circulating through the engine in my coolant and embedding itslef in the seals on my water pump... Never had a leak from it either in the coolant system but I always tend to err on the cautious side... I have found it embedded in the O-rings in my water pump...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts