Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car as it sits right now has about 190k miles and is on a new rebuilt engine from about 13k miles ago. It is a 97 civic with a d16y8 engine. For modifications I have a catback exhaust and an AEM SRI currently. I have gone back and forth about forced induction with a turbo or supercharger application. I have kicked around the thought of a nitrous bottle, but need all the trunk space I can. Always have at least one set of golf clubs in the trunk.

I commute about 65 miles round trip to work each day and all of that is on highways. The passing lanes are minimal and only three places to pass safely. Problem is the tourists spend most all the time enjoying the scenery and go 45mph and then when a passing point opens up they speed up to 75mph. The other problem is that the current setup lacks the pep in the engine to overtake a vehicle very quickly without substantial preparation. In all likely hood I will probably total the car in the next year or so, as my commute is through timber lined roads with heavy deer and elk populations. I am feeling lucky I haven't hit one in the last two years, so the odds are against me.

While I have no intentions of racing the car on the track at all or doing an autocross, this car in all definitions is a daily driver. I would like to add some extra oomph to it to allow me to make passing a much easier feat. At first the thought of the $500 ebay turbo kit looked great and then reality set it and I remembered that the pain of poor equipment is long remembered after the price is forgotten. Been tinkering with the thought of adding a header, possibly a aftermarket intake manifold, internal work on manifold I already have or doing some extensive head work. Also have kicked around picking up a Vtec controller and while little good it would probably do, possibly lower the vtec engagement point. I realize that I should have swapped out the engine instead of having it rebuilt, but now that the engine is fresh, I feel I might as well work with what I have.

Any thought or suggestions on which direction is better suited for the end result I am after?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
What transmission are you using?

I have a feeling you would probably be satisfied with a Greddy turbo kit.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
So... the original Y7 transmission, or the Y8 transmission? The Y8 transmission makes the car all-around better in terms of performance. A lot of people have recorded dropping 1 second from their 1/4 mile times with that change alone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So... the original Y7 transmission, or the Y8 transmission? The Y8 transmission makes the car all-around better in terms of performance. A lot of people have recorded dropping 1 second from their 1/4 mile times with that change alone.
That is a good question. I will have to find that out. Thank You.

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
as mentioned above tranny if you are running the y7.

HMT turbo kit, i would trust it more then a ebay kit.

if you can get a hold of a greddy kit for a good price, or any good kit for a good price.

or a JRSC if you can get one for a good price.

either way you go with forced induction just make sure to get a proper tune

NA can be fun but does have it's limits depending on what you are willing to spend

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
niitrous is your way to go.

its cheap, if you total your car no big deal you only invested a few hundred bucks.

plus its 1/5 the headaches of a turbokit with install and maintenance.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
niitrous is your way to go.

its cheap, if you total your car no big deal you only invested a few hundred bucks.

plus its 1/5 the headaches of a turbokit with install and maintenance.
2nd this!

turbo's end up being much more of a headache for a daily driver! i know from personal experience!

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
You guys that know me know I love my bottle... fo sho!.. but what he is using the car for I don't think it will be right. An hmt kit tuned will be your best bet. When your cruising the power will let you stay in 5th gear easy so cruising should be nice. Y8 trans is shorter but do you NEED that do you think? If so then pick one up.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
HMT are great, but if you have never installed a turbo, a complete kit is the best idea. i would suggest to go out and shop around, autoworks make complete kits, edlebrock does, greddy does, etc...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going to look at nitrous as it fits my budget a little bit better. Found out yesterday that there is much more power after 5500rpm's. Had never revved out the motor to redline and always had shifted at 5k to 5.5k rpm's when trying to pass. It was a pleasant surprise to say the least.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Going to look at nitrous as it fits my budget a little bit better. Found out yesterday that there is much more power after 5500rpm's. Had never revved out the motor to redline and always had shifted at 5k to 5.5k rpm's when trying to pass. It was a pleasant surprise to say the least.
Wow, that's like the only place the Y8 makes power... you have to take it there if you want to go!

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,609 Posts
I would go with a used turbo kit. Heard bad things about the e-gay kits though, mostly the mani cracking.

Nitrous is good up front, but you will be paying a lot out in the long run. Depending on the size tank... about 50-80$+ to fill it every time is not cheap in my opinion. Plus I had friends that went through a bottle in a week.

Sell your headers and put that money plus the 500 you already have towards a kit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts