Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says. Im looking to get my ac the coldest i possible can.

My ac system is in working condition. Its been in the 90s and i have been getting around 50-55degs out the front vents on the freeway.
Once i get to the streets it goes up but normally to about 62-65 then drops as i start moving.
But these pass few days its been closer to 110f out.
On the freeway its cool, but on the stop in go streets or traffic. It starts to warm up.

I was wondering if anyone has ran 2 fans on the condenser.
the stock fan and a pusher mounted to the front?

I was looking at the front and it seems like a slim fan wont fit due a line from the condenser. But would this disrupt the ac flow through the condenser?

Would having both fans running hurt the electrical system?
I doubt it as an amp would be worse then 2 fans right.
And also i was thinking about just making a water sprayer kit and just spray the condenser with water on the hot days. The last time i did it it work ok but the rubber line melted and i had no way to know if it was spraying water or if i was empty.

edit. 98 civic half size condenser oem fan

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Adding a pusher fan is unlikely to help out as it will block flow area.

Cars that have ice cold AC all the time have much, much larger evaporator cores and condensers than a Civic. The AC system in a Civic was never meant to complete with a luxury car.

I pulled an evaporator core out of a late 90s early 2000s Lexus once while working at the shop. It dwarfs any evaporator core I have seen for a Civic of Integra.

A 35-40 degree temp drop is pretty decent to be honest.

The system only has so much capacity.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,005 Posts
a/c? what the hell is that? my blower motor is shot and Ive been doing 60-2. 60mph with 2 windows down.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are running the a/c with re circ correct?
always and forever.

Adding a pusher fan is unlikely to help out as it will block flow area.

Cars that have ice cold AC all the time have much, much larger evaporator cores and condensers than a Civic. The AC system in a Civic was never meant to complete with a luxury car.

I pulled an evaporator core out of a late 90s early 2000s Lexus once while working at the shop. It dwarfs any evaporator core I have seen for a Civic of Integra.

A 35-40 degree temp drop is pretty decent to be honest.

The system only has so much capacity.
Yea i thought it would block flow. Just wanted to ask and make sure.
And yea i only every own hondas with these small as half size condenser.
My mother in law had a satrun vue (suv) and the ac got cold fast but it had a full size condenser and big as fan, was still a 4 cylinder tho.

I guess ill go back to my water sprayer idea. It did work but had problems since i just rigged it up. I guess some copper lines would be better then the cheap vinyl tubing i used.

a/c? what the hell is that? my blower motor is shot and Ive been doing 60-2. 60mph with 2 windows down.
a blower motor is like $20-$30 buck. Id run ac for that price.
Also you cant out run heat in traffic or on the streets.

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
You could get get crafty with a full size condenser from an integra and make new lines to run that and extend the brackets for the radiators to keep the half size.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,005 Posts
always and forever.

Yea i thought it would block flow. Just wanted to ask and make sure.
And yea i only every own hondas with these small as half size condenser.
My mother in law had a satrun vue (suv) and the ac got cold fast but it had a full size condenser and big as fan, was still a 4 cylinder tho.

I guess ill go back to my water sprayer idea. It did work but had problems since i just rigged it up. I guess some copper lines would be better then the cheap vinyl tubing i used.

a blower motor is like $20-$30 buck. Id run ac for that price.
Also you cant out run heat in traffic or on the streets.
the thing I truly miss is front and rear defrost

·
Registered
128 Posts
Honda has already maximized cooling for the system.

Performance test your A/C exactly as described in the service manual. Graph the results and post them.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honda has already maximized cooling for the system.

Performance test your A/C exactly as described in the service manual. Graph the results and post them.
ill try to testing tomorrow.
As said it does work, was just looking for something a litter better.
But as you said its probably as good as its going to get.

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
Ron is on to something...that's why I asked about the re circ.... Not everybody knows about that setting...and IMO your ac output is on the low side...having a shop do a service would be where I would start.

You could have build up in the filter/drier...spraying thebcondensor might help. In theory it sounds like a good idea at least

·
Registered
ej6
587 Posts
it sounds like u need more air flow in the condenser on low speed/driving in traffic.
maybe try driving around without the front bumper see the temps like that

I would like to see a integra condenser in a civic. that would do the for sure in traffic driving.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ron is on to something...that's why I asked about the re circ.... Not everybody knows about that setting...and IMO your ac output is on the low side...having a shop do a service would be where I would start.

You could have build up in the filter/drier...spraying thebcondensor might help. In theory it sounds like a good idea at least
Yea the compressor, dry, evaporated valve are a yr old.
my condenser has seen better days tho. I thought about buying a new one and getting the system recharged. Last yr I placed those parts and vac and recharged it myself.

it sounds like u need more air flow in the condenser on low speed/driving in traffic.
maybe try driving around without the front bumper see the temps like that

I would like to see a integra condenser in a civic. that would do the for sure in traffic driving.
Yea I'd like to see the Integra condenser also but I know the cost won't be cheap.
and it's probably flow is flow. My del so had some cold ac but I also had a body kit and the front was wide open.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I bet your system is low on refrigerent. Its been in the 90's here with high humidity and I get 40 degrees out my vents on my turbo equiped 2000 civic. My low pressure is around 35psi and high is 275 psi with it 90 degrees outside. I was getting about 55 degrees out of the vents before I recharged. I replaced my compressor, condensor and reciever dryer a year ago. I think my low side schrader valve was leaking a little.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For what reason did you replace these^?
about 2 yrs ago the compressor went out. Locked up on my.
I replace the compressor and flush out the system. It was the end of summer so i didnt use the ac much.
I then had problems with ac on the streets but later found out it was due to the motor going out and the compressor kicking on and off way to much.

Fast forward. New motor, ac works way better then before. I straighten some bent fins and it works better then it has ever work.

Then the pass few days its been 105-110f and it just seems to heat up some on the streets.
When the outside temps are under 100f its cool and i dont have a problem.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
If your compressor ever grenaded internally you should replace the condensor no matter what.

My ac in my 95 (same system as yours) is 40* when i'm on the highway, and usually 50-60 in town. airflow over the condensor is the main culprit.

I cut the stock fan from the ac shroud and put a slim fan in there so I get max airflow over the whole condensor. I put a 12' curved blade but I want to seriously put a 14" straight blade on my wife's. Her 00' is exactly the same, but only gets down to mid 40's

·
Registered
128 Posts
about 2 yrs ago the compressor went out. Locked up on my. I replace the compressor and flush out the system.
A thorough flush is absolutely critical. How thoroughly did you flush the system?

found out it was due to the motor going out and the compressor kicking on and off way to much.

Fast forward. New motor, ac works way better then before. I straighten some bent fins and it works better then it has ever work.
By motor do you mean engine? A bad engine should not make the compressor cycle too frequently.

Then the pass few days its been 105-110f and it just seems to heat up some on the streets.
When the outside temps are under 100f its cool and i dont have a problem.
As mentioned, it's critical that you performance test the system.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A thorough flush is absolutely critical. How thoroughly did you flush the system?

By motor do you mean engine? A bad engine should not make the compressor cycle too frequently.

As mentioned, it's critical that you performance test the system.
I don't remember how well it was flushed.
And yes engine. It wouldn't idle and the rpm would drop so low it kicked off the compressor to avoid stalling.
And I'll do the performance test tomorrow when I have time. I got gauges and stuff just haven't had the time.

I do believe if anything is wrong it would he the condenser or just a bit low.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
you cannot flush everything in the system. only the lines. never flush a condensor, evap, expansion valve, compressor, or drier.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts