Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
CRX, Wrangler
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 CRX Si I'm going to paint myself in the next few weeks.

I went to the paint store to develop a budget, and the guy gave me the following prices:

PPG Shopline Rio Red Base - $153.80 G
Valuepro Primer - $44.90 G
Shopline Sealer (optional) - $48.00 G
Shopline Clear - $55.40 G
Hardener for the Above $ $26.15

The guy said a gallon of base will be 'more than enough' - the thing is, I think it will be WAY more than enough. How much should I buy?

I saw on 'Muscle Car TV' (or something on Spike) that a white sealer under red really makes the color 'pop'. Should I bother with the sealer?

Budget is obviously a concern here - so I'm just looking for a little direction from you guys who have similar car sizes.

My current skill level is: Pretty good at picking things up, but have never painted a car before.

-Des!

·
Registered
same
311 Posts
it all depends on who's doing the spraying. The first time my 65 el camino was shot it took the guy a gallon and a half. Now it's being re shot as we speak and he's using 2 quarts. so. and yes the white sealer will make it "pop" but also if you get a super cheap red or have the white sealer tinted that will make the red pop even more. hope this helps.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Get a Gallon of paint and here is why. Usually a gallong of paint isnt much more than half a gallon. So say you buy half gallon (2 quarts) and its 50 bucks and gallon would only be 80. Because your buying more...kinda like a bulk thing....so if something goes wrong you you want to paint something later down the line you got extra paint....but should only need half gallon to paint it....after its thinned half gallon will be a gallon...or more depending on how you spray. You dont need the primer unless its down to metal...if it already has a base on it then primer is not needed.....and really depending on the original color your spraying over you dont need the sealer. Dont forget to calculate your Masking Tape, Paper, Tack Cloth, Etc....Cause you WILL need that stuff. I wrote a DIY a while back on a Professional Paint job....just search for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts