Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys maybe you can help me out with this one. Why is the Phantom grip like $700 cheaper. I looked on both their sites and they say they both do the same thing. Any experiences with either. Thanks guys :beer:

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
if you search for the phantom grip it is supposedly a big piece of shit. it doesn't work for crap. and only screws up your transmission. the quaife is more expensive because it's a real lsd that's proven to work.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Quaife LSD... works great and a lifetime warranty. I hear those Phantom Grip type LSD's sucks balls. You can kind of feel they are there, but they don't work that well. I am guessing the Phantom Grip is cheaper because it's not a true LSD? If it's anything like that Arizona Race & Machine Twin Trac LSD then it's just a little piece you stick into your stock diff. Here is a write up on the Twin Trac LSD... http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=7458;start=msg57990#msg57990

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
The Phanton is essentialy the same damn thing as a twin trac. The weakest link in our diffs is the spider gears. With those type LSD's they actualy put MORE force on the spider gears by locking the diff pin which is why they are a pile of crapola!! Try it out go for it but dont say we didnt warn you. Save a buck now...pay a fortune later.

When your tranny explodes. Yes I have done it. TWICE until I bought a quaife.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I know that there is a lot of guys using the Quaife lsd, I was just curious about the differences between the two. It seems that it's hands down the better product. Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
180 Posts
not to mention the 1000 vs couple hundred price tag but it is well worth it. when i get the money for it ill set up a group purchce but till then ill have to stick w/ a stock lsd

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
For the Street Quaife > Kaaz
For the Strip Kaaz > Quaife
For AutoX Kaaz +-= Quaife

The advantage a Kaaz has over a Quaife for Autox lies within its true clutch type LSD. When you lift a front tire off the ground the Kaaz will "lock-up" keeping power to the remaining tire still ON the ground. However with a Quaife, it will only do its job when the tires are on the ground. So what does that mean? Why not buy a Kaaz instead? Well, your average Autox car is still a street legal vehicle and most "street-legal" cars just dont have the capabilties to lift a front tire while still being a pleasure to drive on the street. Now you must choose what suites your driving habits and needs. Will this be a daily driver/ weekend strip warrior or a full blown autox car strickly. As for the Phanton...dont even bother with it.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have tried the Phantom Grip when it first was available for our trans back in late 90s. THat piece is truly a waste of money. for the money you spend on it, install it, that'll set you back like $400 or so if you had someone install it. it rarely works, and if it does, its possibly at times you dont expect and need it.

thats the reason we carry and stock the Quaife LSD. I cant stress enough how worth it the Quaife is. I know its not the cheapest thing to get, but if you are truly looking for improvement in your transmission, this is the way to go.

If you see our Project SOHC CRX, it pretty much has all the parts you can want in an SOHC. and we would never put anything or sell anything that is junk. THe LSD makes the car so easy to launch and drive.

and another good thing on the Quaife is, that theyre Lifetime Warranty.

They do honor this warranty too. We've had 3 B-series LSDs break in the 9 sec race cars and theyve replaced it everytime.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,432 Posts
Bizzar said:
For the Street Quaife > Kaaz
For the Strip Kaaz > Quaife
For AutoX Kaaz +-= Quaife

The advantage a Kaaz has over a Quaife for Autox lies within its true clutch type LSD. When you lift a front tire off the ground the Kaaz will "lock-up" keeping power to the remaining tire still ON the ground. However with a Quaife, it will only do its job when the tires are on the ground. So what does that mean? Why not buy a Kaaz instead? Well, your average Autox car is still a street legal vehicle and most "street-legal" cars just dont have the capabilties to lift a front tire while still being a pleasure to drive on the street. Now you must choose what suites your driving habits and needs. Will this be a daily driver/ weekend strip warrior or a full blown autox car strickly. As for the Phanton...dont even bother with it.
Bizzar, soon I've have enough tranny/LSD's for every setup.

IMHO even though I have a Kaaz, Quaife wins out on a street driven car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts