Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first build so I am hoping I can get some insight from other members so I can do this right the first time.

I just pulled off the main bearing cap from the block I'm building and all the bearings have wear spots on them. I'm assuming this is normal because the engine has 158k miles on it so of course there is going to be wear and tare but I want to be sure. The wear pattern looks similar to what I've seen on spun rod bearings, but not as bad.

• Is this normal or is there something wrong with the crankshaft?
My other big question is what happened to the middle bearing. It doesn't really fit onto the main bearing cap, it slides right off and there is a gap inbetween the main cap and the bearing that I can fit the largest leaf from my feeler gauge into.
  • Will this be fixed by using a new bearing (which I was going to do anyway, of course) or is it also possible that the journal hole is out of round?
I recorded a video to help understanding:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3rJj50Pbbg

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I just ran out and took some.

I think they show what I'm talking about pretty well but I'm teh suck with a camera.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not sure why that one bearing has the gap in it but the wear looks normal to me. I rebuilt mine when it had about 118k on the engine and my bearing looked like this...
Rod bearings:

Mains:

Thrust:

The machine shop said it was normal wear and no crank work was needed except polishing the journals. Hope that helps some how.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys,

Just for shits and giggles I took one of the bearings from another journal and put it in the middle journal and it fit just fine, without a gap. So for some reason that bearing got messed up which I still don't know why but at least I know its not the journal that is mis-shaped. But, now I have more shitty news. I took the block the rest of the way down tonight and this is what I found:

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

The cranks oil holes are egg shaped now, so I'm guessing the crank is now a $600+ paper weight...

There is defiantly something wrong with the middle journals on this engine. This is the other half of the middle journal bearing

Anyone have some insight on what I should do?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
machine shop, have them spec everything if you don't have the tools to do it. but with those bearings in the last few pics being like that, either the crank or block, possible both might have to replaced

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I'd say get a diff crank, the worst thing is, if you have damage in the bbearings, there might be damage somewhere else.

Best thing to do is to get a new block, they can be had for cheap, the bottom end is all you need. I had a complete Y8 for under $100 and i'm gonna be getting a Y7 for $150 with just 100k on it (100,000kms for those who don't know i am Canadian) to rebuild. Cuz either you machine the block you have now and run the risk of it being out of spec no matter what, or you can rebuild or remachine a good block and run that.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in Fairmont, it's about 30 minutes from mo-town.

I'm not going to take any chances here since D's are a dime a dozen, I'm going to get another block and crank.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I'm in Fairmont, it's about 30 minutes from mo-town.

I'm not going to take any chances here since D's are a dime a dozen, I'm going to get another block and crank.
Exactly, best to spend the money where it matters not on bringing it back to specs again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts