Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Civic
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have any experience with heating transmission parts?
I've got the molykote 7409 anti friction coating from Dow Corning.
They require a baking process of 220°C (428° F) for 30 min .Could the synchro sleeves handle the heat without changing the material properties ?
I allready asked SynchroTech but they didn't know anything about that.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Honestly I dont know, so take this with a grain of salt.

According to wikipedia, brass forging temp (when it starts to soften significantly) is over 800C, and all the steel alloys are quite a bit higher. So I wouldnt be concerned about brass for the temps you listed.

However, heat hardened steel can be tempered (softened) by temps in the 175–350°C (347–662°F) range. This means that if honda gears are heat hardened from the factory and not tempered, 220C temps could slightly soften the steel gears.

If Honda gears are just made from a super hard steel alloy, and are not heat hardened, or if they are heat hardened then tempered, they shouldnt really be effected.

Honestly, I wouldnt have any problem doing it to my tranny gears, but not sure I would want to make the inside of syncros and the matching steel cones any lower friction.

·
Registered
Civic
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm talking about coating the synchro sleeve and the shift forks .Those are 2 parts that slide onto each other and wear over time.The stock Aluminium and steel forks also have a coating on them from factory.( Looks light grey)

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Again, pointless as it wears off extremely fast. The stock forks don't have a coating.

If you want anti friction properties that won't wear off, WPC is the only way to go.

If you're doing it for power gains, there won't be any from the forks/sliders alone. If you're doing it for longevity, it won't increase it enough to make it worthwhile.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,310 Posts
B series, not D series.

Might also wanna test Rockwell harness, something I suspect is behind the 96-00 fork/slider wear issue.

·
Registered
Civic
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
B series, not D series.

Might also wanna test Rockwell harness, something I suspect is behind the 96-00 fork/slider wear issue.

Shift fork came out of a S40 D-series transmission out of a 1998 Civic Aerodeck with D14a8 engine.(euro spec) (S40 trans with 4.4 FD.)
So Yes its D-series.

This shift fork (1st/2nd) had 240.000km on it Not much wear on it .Fingers still measure 6.4mm thick.

@ Aquafina Color difference from heat treatment could be true.But there's also a notable difference in feel.The " coated grey area" feels muchs smoother then the rest of it.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,310 Posts
More pics of the WHOLE fork....I still say it is a B series, esp how the shaft for 5th gear drops through.

Perhaps this is an AWD transmission???

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,310 Posts
I love the Aerodeck, wish we got it in the USA.

Also in my speed reading I thought you'd stated it was a 3-4 fork, my fault.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Domani + civic + wagon - for the win.

I need to find one, some how some way...any way just lurking.

·
Registered
Civic
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found out what the coating is on the oem shift forks. Hard chrome plating.
Here are some bike shift forks that have the same coating

"Shift Forks
Our investment cast shift forks are made out of 4140 then dipped in a hard chrome plate bath for wear resistance, also designed with oil reliefs to ensure proper lubrication and wear resistance on fork blades and shift dogs."

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
The hard chrome plate isn't a coating. It is used to prevent galling during startup and in the event of a seal failure. It is ineffective as it is still added onto the part like a coating and wears off easily.

The only way to extend the life of the forks is with WPC treatment, even then forks are still a wear item.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts