Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
his is how i wired it up

theres one wire that has 12v, its nice and fat. you want to splice that into the momentary switch, and also splice the starter wire to the momentary switch, so when the button is pushed the two wires have continuity, and the starter turns.

i then made little connector wires, and ran one from the positive 12v wire to the next switch, and made another connector and jumped it to the next switch. that way i didnt have to run a whole bunch of wire and it would be as short as possible to avoid burning the wire from too much juice.

there are 4 wires if i remember correctly off of the ignition switch. two are for ACC power and i connected them together at one of the switches. the next is ECU power and lastly the starter signal wire.

so connect the two ACC wires together at the switch you want to control ACC power, and run one of the "jumper" wires i talked about earlier to your switch. then when you flick it the ACC power should come on.

run the one wire for the ECU power to the other switch, and run a jumper from the momentary switch over to it, and when u flick it, the ECU should power up/main relay/etc, and the car will be ready to start.

then just push the starter control button (momentary switch) and the car should start right up!

it was a fair bit of work because i didnt know what wires did what. but if u take the ignition switch off you will see all the wires are labeled so its not too bad.

A better way (kinda) would be to use relays triggered by a low current grounded switch than to use a high amp switches and wiring. But the high current stuff will work just fine thats how the OEM system works and it seems to last 20+ years no problem.

Heres some pictures of the setup I used. Had it in my race car for 3 or 4 years. It was a 98 Civic hatch. A CX model.

The brown plugs you see here in this picture are the plugs at the end of your OEM ignition swtich. They are located under your steering column behind the kick panel by your feet.

I matched the wire gauge, and extended them a little to reach the center console. I did it to all of them, you would only really tap into two wires to do this with JUST a push start. I made a little toggle board.

Heres the setup. You can see the extended wires to the board.

Close up. How you see the wires here is how the OEM switch works. Kinda cool. The "3rd wire" from the switch is a ground for the other switches.

Edit; the far switch with red and blue wires was a switch for a relay controlled dedicated circuit for the fuel pumps. They have nothing to do with this. And the ACC and ECU switches are basically key position 1, and key position 2. You would normally just leave those "as is" but remember this panel was in a race car.

The white wire, and black wire with white line, are what you tap into for a push start button. Put these on a momentary switch or use a relay to connect them. You could T into the white wire, and T into the Black/white wire and that would work fine, and your key would still start your car. OR you could T into the white wire, and cut the black/white wire and extend it over to the switch. This way the key wont start the car, but you would need to put it into ACC2 to start it up with the button.

If you were to "arc" these wires out on each other, it would make the starter spin.

Pretty simple stuff to wire up.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Darin made that center piece, those were his speciality.

We coined the term, "carbon cotton" since we would just use t-shirts as the base for the resin! hahah. They arent all that strong with just one layer heheh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts