Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building my 1995 Honda Civic CX into a road race car and really want to get rid of the key and steering wheel lock. I was wondering if anyone had a guide or any pointers on how to wire that shit up. I am shitty with electronics and wiring diagrams. Computers, driving and guns are about all I can do effectively and reading wiring scimatics doesn't exactly fit in there. I want to have a switch for each of the key positions. One toggle for the first turn with engages electrical power, second turn for the fuel pump and all and a momentary toggle for bumping the starter. Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

--Doug

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
jack the set up out of an S2000....

j/k

IIRC pep boys sells a GRANT brand push button ignition for a decent price that comes with the directions and hardware needed for the job

·
Registered
92CivicCX Black
291 Posts
You want toggle, toggle, momentary pushbutton.
For... Accessories, Run, Start

I would recommend against a toggle for the starter unless it's got spring tension to stay in the off position and you can only flip it up and hold it. It's just not a great idea to have a toggle for starter signal.

If you know someone who is any good with electronics/wiring, ask them a favor or pay them to do it for you, I guess. But you need to open up the column and identify which wires are connected with which position of the key turn. Then LABEL them and disassemble the ignition assembly there and run extensions of those LABELED wires to the switches you have installed on the dash and you're done.

·
Registered
105 Posts
my buddy put one simaler to this in his eg he used the key to get power n all but just had the button to staqrt .. it kinda like bypassed the start opetion in the key

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
Why not just run the toggle switches directly to the things you wanna power? If it's strictly a race car, just run a switch from the main power to the fuel pump, a toggle for the starter, etc etc. May make wiring a little easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts