Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Crx
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello again everyone, long time no post. Well I am back with a 99 civic hatchback that I managed to pick up from my work. This started out as me just wanting to pick up a commuter car that would get great gas mileage, as I live about 45 mins from work and knew this car would get around 40mpg. I originally planned to leave this completely stock and not touch it besides keeping up on regular maintenance.

As usual for me though I just cant leave well enough alone and I started buying stuff slowly. Started out by swapping the steelies and hubcaps it had for some rims I had left over. Then I decided I wanted to swap out the deck for a double din cd player a co worker had that was amber, as well as updating the gauge cluster to a CRV cluster that was amber to match and had a tach. After some time went by I decided to pick up a b16a full swap from a local guy that was going to go K series, I thought well for 800$ I would take the risk since I went for a drive and it sounded good and drove decent besides the trans had a grind in 2nd gear. once I got the swap back to the shop though I found it was not really in the best shape, the trans had a lot of metal that was on the magnet one of the keepers on the exhaust valves had been cracked, shift linkage was beat up bad, ect ect. I fixed up the b16 engine with new head gasket, timing belt, water pump, keeper, timing covers, valve cover, and a few more odds and ends with the plan up buying a trans or rebuilding the other one. Around this time I also picked up a rear disc swap from a Del sol that had been in a accident and swapped out my drums for the discs. That is how my car has been for a few months time, and then about three weeks ago I decided to hell with it I am going to finally build the Honda I have wanted for a long time, and decided to get the power plant that I have had my eye on since I first got into Honda's, Jdm b18c type R. So I placed the order through Hmotors for the Engine, trans and ECU, along with the Type R intake and box, and Type R exhaust with a spoon muffler. Unfortunatly the shipping company screwed up and shipped it across the country so I wont be able to swap it for 2-3 more weeks, O well shit happens and Steve at H motors is making it right.

IMG_1738 by Jeff Smelser, on Flickr

IMG_1737 by Jeff Smelser, on Flickr

IMG_1736 by Jeff Smelser, on Flickr

IMG_1739 by Jeff Smelser, on Flickr

IMG_1759 by Jeff Smelser, on Flickr

IMG_1757 by Jeff Smelser, on Flickr

IMG_1756 by Jeff Smelser, on Flickr

IMG_1750 by Jeff Smelser, on Flickr

·
Registered
Crx
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Registered
Crx
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I am glad to be back and excited to get the project really going.

·
Registered
Crx
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the radiator hoses in today at work.
IMG_1768[1] by Jeff Smelser, on Flickr

Also some pics of the damage to the b16, and b16 trans that I had originally planned to put in the car.

This makes it hard to adjust the valve
IMG_1228 by Jeff Smelser, on Flickr

This broke into pieces sending big shards flowting around the trans
IMG_1418 by Jeff Smelser, on Flickr

IMG_1414 by Jeff Smelser, on Flickr

IMG_1417 by Jeff Smelser, on Flickr

If you look at the center bearing you can see behind the plastic a big chunk of the metal.
IMG_1419 by Jeff Smelser, on Flickr

Reactions: theft-repo-sol

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,016 Posts
how is there 3 keepers?

·
Registered
Crx
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how is there 3 keepers?
One of them was cracked in half, this is after the guy just had Head work done to it. this caused it to sit wrong making it impossible to adjust properly.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,016 Posts

·
Registered
Crx
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got a call back on my Engine from Hmotors after the shipping company completely messed up by shipping it across the county, should be getting my engine this coming Tuesday! Going to place an order tomorrow to get timing belt water pump and seals for it. Cant wait to get this engine in the car!

Reactions: Whoshot

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Nice come back, she is pretty clean for her age. I like the upgrades and updates. In for more, I need to update my threads with pics....

·
Registered
Crx
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice come back, she is pretty clean for her age. I like the upgrades and updates. In for more, I need to update my threads with pics....
Thanks, its good to be back even though I am getting rid of the D-series this was always my favorite forum that is CRX community lol. I think the next step is going to be suspension with some koni yellows and GC coilovers. Also going to try and get a quote on EX/SI front brake set up from the local junk yard and see what price they come up with. Then its on to wheels and tires, front and rear sways ect ect the project list just keeps going lol. But when I am all set I should have a great DD that can be tracked on the weekends.

·
Registered
Crx
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Finally

Untitled by Jeff Smelser, on Flickr

I already put a new timing belt, water pump, cams seals, crank seal, valve cover gasket, and spark plug tube seals in it. Just waiting on the Jumper harness that Hmotors forgot to send with it and the drive belts.

Hmotors because of the epic fail of shipping I had happen hooked it up with a spoon exhaust

Reactions: Icarus

·
Registered
Crx
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
Crx
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Got the old engine out, just trying to figure out the wiring right now to make the P73 that I got, and the 99 dx harness to work. Need to figure out how I am going to wire up the Tach

·
Registered
Crx
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
After some wiring work she is in, just need to get the correct axles to make her move!

·
Registered
Crx
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looking good man. Im considering getting my underhood looking pretty stock.
I enjoy a stock look the most, I should have spend a good amount of time cleaning up the bay but I just didnt have the time for it since this is really my only car to drive at the moment.

·
Registered
Crx
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well today I went to the parts store and picked up an axle, so we could get it on the road. We finished up a couple odds and ends and put the axle and coolant in, took it for a test drive and at first it was great. Just driving around I didnt notice much of anything, but when I went to give it a good pull down a back road and open it up, it felt great in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, after that it started sputtering a little bit and cutting out when I would give it more then just genital throttle. No check eng light came on and I didn't have the time today to really figure it out. The Alternator needs replaced and I want to give it new plugs and wires as well. To start I am going to see if it has any codes that are just not switching on the light. Going to pop open the dizzy as well and make sure I dont see any problems. Cant wait to get all the bugs worked out, and see what she can do when I open her up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts